9. Welcome to the Family

"One last thing," I tell Zhao Yan while he helps me get on a one-horse carriage he just called for me. "My parents might not be nice to you. They had some really bad history with Xiongnu. Please understand."

He sneers. "I figured that part out when you told me the names of your brothers."

Jinu, the name of my older brother, actually means attacking Xiongnu, Ponu means destroying Xiongnu, and my name Shiaonu, means laughing at Xiongnu.

"Well," I laugh at his grudge. "At least, I won't laugh at you. I will laugh with you."

I made an exaggerated smile with my teeth clenched together.

He cracks up with my comic expression.

"Shiaonu."

Both Zhao Yan and I turn our heads to the voice. My brother Jinu is darting towards us.

"Where have you been?" he yells at me loudly. "We have been searching for you all over."

Before I can say anything, he turns to Zhao Yan.

"Who is this? Did he hurt you?" He asks with a very suspicious tone.

"Brother." I cut in before he becomes hostile towards Zhao Yan. "This is Mr. Zhao, who has actually helped me."

I quickly explain to Jinu. "I sneaked out of our house, trying to check out our neighborhood. But I got lost. Mr. Zhao bought me some tea and he was just about to send me home."

Jinu doesn't look like he believes what I said. But Zhao Yan quickly raises his hands together and bow to Jinu. "My name is Zhao Yan. I have a tanning shop in the West Market Place. I saw your sister wandering on the street alone. Worrying about her safety, I offered her my help. Her feet hurt so I planned to escort her home."

Zhao Yan's frank and polite words worked. Jinu bows back to him. "Thank you for taking care of my sister. I am Zhao Jinu. My family just opened a small stored called Xiao Xiao Dian Xin. You are very welcome to drop by anytime. My parents will also be grateful for what you did."

Zhao Yan acts as if he is surprised to find out we own Xiao Xiao Dian Xin. "Do you mean the Xiao Xiao Dian Xin?"

I see my brother Jinu stands taller when he takes the subtle yet flattering question. "Yes, that's our store."

Zhao Yan immediately greases up further. "For real? I have been going there every day, trying to buy some mooncakes but they always sold out before my turn. Your business is the best among all the stores in both East and West Market Places. Actually, the other day, some of my friends were guessing who owns the store but none of us would have ever guessed such a young and handsome businessman."

I laugh my heart out internally. Jinu's face turned red on Zhao Yan's comment. He bows again towards Zhao Yan.

"Thank you for such kind words. We are new in business and we still have a lot to learn. If you don't mind giving me your address, I will send some mooncakes and jellos to you personally. And you can come to our store any time without waiting in line." Then he adds. "I feel like I have seen you before."

"I feel the same about you, Brother Jinu." Zhao Yan says. "I feel very fortunate to meet you and Shiaonu today. Why don't you join me tomorrow at Spring Wind restaurant? I have a regular gathering with a few friends. They all have been in business for a long time. I am sure they would like to meet the new face in town. And it might be beneficial for you as well."

By now, Jinu has bought everything Zhao Yan just said. He thanks Zhao Yan again and promises to meet him and his friends in the restaurant the next day.