Ghostly (An Academy Fanfiction)

Based on C.L. Stone's Ghost Bird Series

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the Academy series (Ghost Bird or Scarab Beetle) All rights go to C.L. Stone.

RATING: K+ for language and violent themes. Mentions of abuse and drug addiction

WARNING: May contain triggers for some readers- read at your own risk. Nonagon-ic relationships between Sang and her nine boys (Owen Blackbourne, Dr. Sean Green, Nathan Griffin, Dakota 'Kota' Lee, Gabriel Coleman, Lucian 'Luke' Taylor, North Taylor, Silas Korba, and Victor Morgan)

GENRE: Romance, Humor, Mystery, Suspense, Reverse Harem,

~~

Chapter One

Memory Loss

~~

I woke up in the hospital. I didn't understand how I had gotten there or who I was. But I knew I was in a hospital. I knew that the wires connected to my chest were to monitor my condition and the clamp on my finger was to record my heart rate. The machine said my blood pressure was normal at 90/60, my heart rate was steady.

I knew that the sun's position from the window told me it was late in the day, easily after six o'clock in the evening. I sat up sharply, jerking the blankets off my legs. There was gauze around my calves and I could spot bruises on my arms, my hands, my feet. My body felt trapped, itchy, beneath the bandages.

My heart rate kicked up a notch, only just, but I feared a nurse or doctor would come in to find the source of my knocking heart rate. I took a long breath, watching the screen, and willed it to stop the frantic beating. Very slowly, my heart rate dropped again as I breathed.

I reached out to the machine and pressed a button on the front. The screen blinked out and I pulled the clamp off my hand, tarring the IV from my arm and the white pads from my chest as I did so.

I slipped from the bed. My eyes blurred and my head spun, but I pressed myself to stand up straight.

Something in the back of my head nagged at me to get out of the hospital, out of sight. It wasn't fear, but a hard feeling of panic in my chest.

My feet were silent against the cold tile floor, and found their way across the room to the closed door. Artificial light made the white hallway seem eerie, like it went on forever even though nurses rushed from one end of the hall to the other. I leaned further into the small window that looked out into the hall and spotted a stairwell door about twelve feet away. My heart soared for the thought for an easy get-away.

I pressed the door handle down when there was a lull in the nurses passing, pulling open the heavy door. The hall was much colder then my hospital room, and I shivered as I let the door close behind me. I rushed into the stairwell and started taking the stairs two at a time down. My legs felt numb, heavy, as I ran. Something pulled on my stomach- pain shooting from just below my belly button up my spine like fire.

I stopped on the first floor, though there were more stairs leading down, but those were labeled 'basement' and chained off by a small chain and sign that read 'STAFF ONLY'. The first floor's door didn't have a window, so I pressed my ear to the metal door and attempted to hear anything on the other side. There wasn't much, just far off echoes of sound.

I pressed open the door, peeking through the small crack. A long moment passed, but I seen no one pass and heard no one close to the door. I opened it a bit more, looking out on a wide waiting room with a reception desk at the far end, just beside a tall wall of windows looking out on a small lawn, then a parking lot. I could see a main entrance by reception, but as I looked the other way, I seen a sign for a parking garage.