Chapter 2

A knock sounded upon the front door. Tsuki put down the fork she was eating with and reluctantly headed towards the wooden door, grumbling all the way. She had just returned home a few minutes ago and simply wanted to relax with a meal, something she hadn't enjoyed the pleasure of having in days. Living off of unhealthy, cheesy snacks only satiated the girl for so long. However, it seemed that things never wanted to go the way she wanted, did they? Perhaps it was not in her fate to have a full meal, to which she slightly smiled at the joke. Humor made off of her own pain was always funny to her.

          Tsuki pulled open the door, expecting perhaps a child or common villager in need of some help. It was common for someone in need to seek another to help them out, hence why the village was such a tightly knit community.

Instead of a regular townsman, Tsuki was greeted by an ANBU Black Op standing in her doorway, leaning against the frame with his arms crossed. He sent off a calm, almost bored, aura around him. Her heart sped up seeing the first ANBU officer she had ever gotten up close to with the exception of her mother. Tsuki really only saw these high ranking, elite warriors from a distance, such as sneaking by a training session to watch them spar. She had never stood mere inches away from one of the outstanding ninjas. In a way, they were all her idols.

"Is there something I can do for you?" Tsuki asked, her eyes tracing the oblong cat-like mask the elite shinobi before her was wearing. She couldn't exactly pinpoint what animal he was supposed to resemble with the mask. The red-rimmed eyes slanted down like a cat yet the mouth curved up on both sides surreally. Perhaps there really was no animal resemblance and it was designed to be a distraction.

"Are you Tsuki Uchiha?" The ANBU officer asked, his monotone, mellow voice muffled through the ceramic covering his face.

"Yes, I am." Tsuki replied, controlling her voice from shaking the way it was about to. "Why are you looking for me?"

"The Hokage requests to see you." The masked person said. He didn't give Tsuki a chance to reply before he put his hands together and disappeared, vanishing as abruptly as he had come. Tsuki watched as a single strand of silver hair drift down to the ground in front of her, most likely from the head of the ANBU man.

Tsuki wondered when she was supposed to meet with the Hokage. The officer didn't tell her when exactly to go, just that she was requested by their leader. He seemed to only give her the vaguest answers with his disinterested tone, as if he did not want to be the messenger. Deciding now was better than later, Tsuki abandoned her meal, all appetite lost with worry and curiosity, and set off toward the Hokage's office.

          The sun set in the distance as Tsuki's sandals softly patted the ground with her steps. A few children were still outside, most beginning to head back to their quarters and the rest squeezing in a small game as their mothers yelled at them. The evening was serene as the fiery colors of reds and pinks erupted across the sky. A few thin clouds were whisked along with the wind, adding dashes of white to the warm mix above like salt in a meaty stew.

          Tsuki tentatively knocked on the door, anxious to see why the Hokage had requested her. There were a few moments of silence. Her apprehension grew by every second she stood outside, feeling like a goat headed toward a slaughterhouse. Her palms became sweaty and she slightly shivered. Tsuki feared that she had done something terribly wrong for the highest ranking man in the village to call her. She could not find a single positive reason for being called to his office. Tsuki had heard tales of bad ninjas being called to the Hokage's office and never being seen again since. Closing her eyes for a moment, she shifted her focus from her feelings to the sounds behind the door in an attempt to calm herself. Tsuki could hear muffled voices speaking seriously in hushed tones. The voices then abruptly went silent and not a single noise was to be heard from the inside.