ClockWork

"Well, I'm here. What did you need to talk about?"

"Okay, I'm serious this time, we're going to go in there and we're going to-"

"The Clock Tower?"

"Yep."

"Come on, really!!!" My friend Samuel shouted at me. "Do you KNOW how hard it was to sneak out of the house!?! I almost got caught! Look, there's nothing in there! And there never was!" He began walking away. "Man, I knew I shouldn't have listened when you asked me to meet you here at midnight.."

Hmph. I was better off without him anyway. But there was something going on there. And I knew it. I was going to find out what it was. Put all the stories to rest.

There were rumors that the clock tower had some sort of special power. Nobody really knew what it was though.

I began walking the distance to the clock tower. I eventually arrived at the dull yellow door leading to the magnificent piece of machinery standing before me. I pushed the gate and it creaked open, revealing a dark room with clicking gears revolving in perfect order, waiting exactly the same length of time before completing a cycle. Every time. Truly a marvel.

I began working my way to the top, climbing ladders and ascending stairs up to the door leading to the final, large room. I pushed open the door, and found the Clock Maker standing there. "Hello, Joshua."

"Hello, Adrastus."

"Here to investigate, are we?"

"Of course."

"Come in, Joshua."

Narrative Continued by the Clock Maker

Joshua came in and sat down. "Well, Joshua,"

"Yes, Adrastus?"

"I have been thinking about telling you this for a while." There was a pause. "The king has of course, already been informed. They're working on finding out why it happened. There is another dimension here. A portal."

Silence.

"Were not quite sure why it's here, but you have been so faithfully looking for it, I thought I should show you." A pause. "Come, I will show you."

I lead him through gears into the thick of the clock tower. There was gaping hole in space, leaking blue into the world to which it was connected. You could feel a slight chill in the air. But it did not look foreboding, or even strange. It was just sort of there. And that was all it was.

Joshua waited a few moments, and then hurdled directly into the portal. I expected that much. I paused a few moments, and left the portal, where it was, returning to my post.

Narrative Finished in The Third Person

Joshua the Drasupher returned from sealing up the portal. He had questions about it. It just seemed so, out of place. He came to Izkele, the leader. "You did good work today Joshua."

"Thank you Izkele. I have some questions, if you do not mind."

"Ah, it did seem very odd, for such a chaotic thing to happen, a surge of energy-"

"And a portal from Drasuphus to some unknown dimension."

"Were still not quite sure how it happened. It could have been an accidental tampering with a energy containing substance, or it could have been something else."

When Joshua thought of how life here worked, the term Clock Work came to his mind. He did not know where it came from, or what it meant, but he thought it was something he had heard before.