***

I’m beginning to think that the sun is a much interesting view than me.

“Art students are snobs.” Scott again blabbers but I only get to catch that last of his phrase. He puts an arm around my shoulders. “Don’t worry, Dom. We’ll get that girl. We’ll sure will! I will support you!” he raised his fist up.

I elbowed his rib cage and he flinches.

“Aw! What?” he frowns at me. “You don’t want to get de-virgin-ized anymore?”

“I have piano class to attend to.” I tell him as I head straight for my locker.

“Oh, come on, Dom! You’re not going celibate again, are you?”

I gave him a pointed look and something in his face crinkles and a smile appears. That’s how I know the joke’s on me.

“Sure you can’t give up now. Can’t you see you’re a perfect match in heaven?” he says melodramatically.

“That’s blasphemous.”

“Of course, not. Look, she’s Heaven and you are totally saint boy! You’re a match made in Heaven!”

“Yeah,” I narrowed my eyes at him. “Totally blasphemous of you.”

“Gah! Such a kill joy!” he scowls at me. “If you want the girl you have to take the course of action! It’s not like egg cells are gonna swim for the sperm cells!”

Head starts to turn on our direction.

“She doesn’t even like me.”

“And how do you know? You haven’t even talked to her.”

I shut my locker and I turn to him. “I don’t know, Scott.”

He makes a sound between a snort and a groan.

“You are definitely celibate.”

“Whatever. Catch you later.”

***

They say the smarter you are the harder it is for you to be in relationships because you can see the bullshits from miles away.

Yes, I’ve seen a lot of broken relationships. I’ve seen how girls would cry over Scott when he breaks up with them. I see the changes in them the moment he inflicts his damage on them. And then I start to wonder if I’ll be in one, would I be the one to make a girl cry and beg or will I be the one crying on my pillow at night. But Scott is Scott and I am me. There’s a big difference even with the letters.

But if there is one thing I am positively sure, I don’t want a girl to cry for me. At least I don’t want to be the reason of pain to others. I can take damage to the heart. I think I can.

My classes finally end and my back aches after spending hours trying to master the art of Mozart in C Major via the piano forte. I love playing the piano and I don’t mind playing it all day as long as it keeps me out of scoliosis. The sun is still up. Of course, it’s not like we’re having a solstice that would keep the sun up all day. Right now, Mr. Sun sits right up there in the middle of the Alps as if it’s his majesty’s throne.

I don’t like to see Scott right now and hear his green mouth talk. If I get the girl, I get the girl—but in my own way. Haste makes waste. That’s what my mother says. So I’ll take things one step at a time. Knowing that Scott has fear of heights, I went up the school’s roof top. It’s a good place to stay hidden from him for awhile.

But when I got there, someone has already occupied it.

Anna Marie Heaven sits at the edge of the barricade. The scenario had reminded me of her yesterday standing at the edge of the train station platform. My heart stopped mid-beat.