Chapter 16

Chapter 16:

The cafe that Yuuto took me to could be described in just one word.

Peace.

Despite the glaringly bright green and pink that decorated the outside The Little Blue Bird Cafe, had me more calm and relaxed than I ever was in a public place with strangers all around. Yuuto's presence helped as well.

Only a little.

When Yuuto had held open the door for me to step inside, the light scent of cherry blossom filled my senses. The table Yuuto and I sat at was a clean crisp white and I couldn't help but smile at the pastel blue birds that decorated all of the stationary in the place.

As I looked over the menu I glanced up to find Yuuto trying to stare at me from above his own. When I met his eyes he very quickly pretended to be looking at his menu quite intently. I smothered a laugh behind my menu and looked up again. Judging by the crinkles at the corner of his eyes, he thought it was pretty funny too.

I put the menu down on the table and addressed him.

“I've never been here before. What do you recommend?”

“Well, the yakisoba bread is what I usually get when I find time to come here during my lunch break.”

“Oh yeah, you're a high school teacher, right?”

“Yep, next year will be my fifth year teaching at Iwaki high school.”

“Wow, five years? Next year will only be second year teaching junior high. Congratulations.”

Yuuto bowed playfully at my praise.

“Believe it or not, high school kids are super easy to teach. They're so stressed out about getting into college and getting a job that they have no time to act up. It's a breeze.”

“That's sounds so nice! Middle school kids are so full of hormones and energy and no where to spend it, that they just act so obnoxious in the classroom.”

Laughing at the description of my poor work life, Yuuto draped a hand over mine and whispered sarcastically.

“I'm so sorry.”

I smothered my life behind my palm as a waitress came to the table for our orders. If Yuuto noticed that I didn't pull my hand away, he didn't make it obvious.

“I'll have the yakisoba bread; what about you?”

“Um...”

I glanced down at the menu and tried to figure out what I found the most appetizing. I glanced up from the menu to find the waitress standing there, impatiently, twisting her lips and furrowing her brows.

I tried to scan the list faster, but all it did was blur the options together.

“I'll have the same.” I blurted out, handing the menu back to her.

She took the menu with a clipped smile, turned and walked away.

There was a short awkward silence between us before Yuuto clapped quietly.

“Yay! The freshly made yakisoba bread is much better than the ones you get at the convenience store. Much messier, however.”

And with that, he unfolded one of the large paper napkins and stuffed it into the opening of his collar. He opened another one and place it on his lap. Finally, he pulled out a pair of long, plastic gloves and rolled the up and over his sleeves.

Clapping his hands, he looked in me in the eyes and said “Done. Now I'm ready to eat.”

Snorting, a comment came out of my mouth, disguised as laughter.