Rabbi Daniel Greer: An Ardent Advocate

Rabbi Daniel Greer has been an ardent advocate for Jewish here and abroad. One cause which had strong implications for the Yeshiva of New Haven occurred in the early 1980s. The Yeshiva offered to pay thirty thousand dollars to the City of New Haven to take over the Roger Sherman School for use as a school building since the City had decided at that time to close four public school buildings due to a drop in public school elementary grade enrollment. The City of New Haven accepted the offer and then, on its own, at a meeting of the Board of Aldermen, dropped its price to one dollar to facilitate the immediate upgrading of the building, according to Ben Greenberg of The Jewish Press. The Civil Liberties union challenged the sale in federal court aided by those who did not wish to see the expansion of the Yeshiva community. While the case was being appealed at the Second Circuit, the Yeshiva was represented by Roger Frechette, a prominent Connecticut attorney.

Daniel Greer, the Chairman of the Gan Yeshiva (Yeshiva of New Haven), and a founding member of COLPA (The National Jewish Commission on Law and Public Affairs) received the help of COLPA in the form a friend-of-the-court brief and oral argument presentation in the Court of Appeals by COLPA Vice President Nathan Lewin, a leading constitutional lawyer.

DanielGreer and the Yeshiva prevailed. The Gan School (The Yeshiva of New Haven) hassince enjoyed the former Roger Sherman School Building for several decades.

Visit: https://rabbidanielgreer.wordpress.com/