Chapter 02 - The Red Letter

Start from the beginning

He listened to the small sounds audible around them and started focusing on them alone. What filled the air was the sound of rain clattering against the windows, an occasional snuff from the horses and the sound of the wheels of the carriage through the muddy ground. It was rhythmic and with slowly, he started to feel more at ease.

Along with this feeling of assurance, came the fatigue that has been plaguing him these last few weeks. The lack of sleep only now seemed to gain in on him. And as his eyes fluttered shut, surrounded by these quiet little sounds, a feeling of relief wrapped around him like a warm blanket.

"Wake up." He flinched at the sudden movement on his shoulder, shaking him awake. The first thing that he noticed, was how bright it suddenly was. The sun had already risen and he was vaguely aware that the carriage had stopped moving. He blinked a couple of times, trying to adjust to the light. It was morning already? He still felt drowsy and he wondered how long he'd been sleeping.

"Oh come on," he heard her complain, her hand still shaking him. He rubbed his eyes, in an attempt to feel more awake. The detective girl was already with one foot out of the carriage and expected him to do the same. Groggily, he slowly moved his body, yawning as he made his way outside... and gaped at the huge castle in front of him.

"Wonderful, you're awake," Rin said, yanking his arm and dragging him to the front door. He couldn't help but stare at his surroundings, barely noticing how roughly she pulled him inside.

The castle's inside was even more impressive. It was incredibly big and filled with rich paintings, statues and golden ornaments. Multiple crystal chandeliers hung on the high ceiling of the main hall. The floor they walked on was made out of white marble and the walls were painted like the sky. He truly couldn't keep his eyes off it.

"Stop drooling" Rin warned, squeezing his arm once, as she dragged him through the hall. She knew that he wouldn't be moving on his own if she let him go.

"Welcome, detective," a woman's voice rang, warm and sweet like a spring day.

Wearing a silky peach-colored dress, stood a woman many would find more beautiful than the expensive jewels she wore. Her teal hair was flowing behind her like water, some of its strands braided and tied up together. Her eyes were like the river, calm and delicate. She had an amazing natural beauty and must have broken a lot of hearts in her life. Next to her stood a tall man in a neat suit wearing a pair of glasses. He was no doubt the butler.

"Millina Vanquost," Rin acknowledged.

The young woman smiled gracefully, showing her left hand. "Not anymore."

"Ah, somehow I can't seem to get used to that."

Len blinked, looking from the detective girl to the young woman. "You met before?"

The blonde girl almost seemed to tense. "In an old case," was her quick response.

"I believe proper introductions are in order," the high, velvet voice of the teal-haired woman spoke. "My name is Millina Callisford-Vanquost, lady of this castle. Please call me by my first name." She smiled at the young man. "May I ask for your name, good sir?"

"A-ah," Len stammered, hesitating for a moment, almost spilling out the name she had forbidden him to use. "It's Len, I-"

"He is my new assistant," the detective girl answered for him. "He will write down anything important regarding the case, if that's not too much trouble for you."

Millina laughed, her voice soft like a chime bell. "I do not mind at all. This young man seems very delicate, I am fond of him already."

Len blushed and Rin rolled her eyes. "Great. Now, I need to see that letter."