Bamboo ↠ Ushijima Wakatoshi

Start from the beginning

"A bamboo." Ushijima murmurs, and (F/N) looks at him oddly.

"I'm sorry?"

"You're just like a bamboo." (L/N) (F/N) looked so taken aback by him having associated her with a plant that she doesn't even respond.

"Very strong and sturdy," He starts off, before frowning. "But when they reach a certain height, may break or bend down."

There's a lenghty silence between them, and without a doubt filled with uncomfortable tension.

From the corner of his eye, he could see a couple girls watching the exchange between him and (F/N) from a distance. He assumed they were her friends- with the way they were looking at them.

"I assume you're not telling me that the bending of the bamboo represents my humility." The smile that was present on her face minutes ago had morphed into an ugly frown.

The brunet almost scoffs. "Just like the bamboo, you could've aimed even higher, your limits reaching the sky;

Yet you bent low and halted your potential."

He watches her turn away from him, (h/color) hair swishing behind her, as she left looking rather upset.

His teammates have told him how mean he comes off as due to his bluntness.

But he says it as it is.

When you're graciously handed down talent, you shouldn't evem think of wasting it. That's his belief.

---

"You know Ushijima, while girls usually stare at you, I don't think I've ever seen an entire group glare at you so intensely." Semi Eita points out, causing the rest of the team to turn their heads to where he was looking.

Indeed Semi was right. When Ushijima turned around to look at the group of girls, their glares seemed to burn into his very flesh.

He recognised some of them. They were the girls always around (F/N), so he assumed they were her friends.

Naturally, he also assumed she had told them about what he said to her.

The brunet could only sigh, turning to face his food again.

"Gah! Wakatoshi, did you reject all of them? Geez, how do you get all the girls when I'm here too?" Tendou whines, but the rest of the table merely spare him a glance.

Typical Tendou.

"Like, the one wearing a headband is a total babe! Oh, and the newcomer is pretty cute, too."

Newcomer?

Looking over the group for the last time, he finds (L/N) (F/N) walking over to them with a bento in hand. When the (skin/tone) girl sees him, she doesn't glare at him like her friends did. She merely turns her back to him as she plops down the chair to eat her lunch.

Shirabu, ever the observant one, speaks up.

"Ushijima-san, she's the one your rejected right?"

The guess monster laughs. "Really? But she's the only one not glaring at our dear ace here!" Tendou counters.

"Yeah, but doesn't she look upset to you?" Reon says, but no one replies to him. Instead, they all look expectedly at Ushijima. It was obvious they wanted answers out of him.

"She was wasting her volleyball talents." With a simple statement, his teammates could already fill in the blanks on what had gotten the (h/col)-haired girl so upset.