Chapter Nine: Falling Faster

He says something from outside, but the glass of the window muffles his voice. I hesitate to let him into my car, my hand placed firmly into the pocket that holds the knife. Taking a deep breath, I hastily unlock the door and Silas hurries into the passenger seat in less than a minute. "Why the hell did you scream?" He questions as I still try to catch my speeding breath.

"I'm at some stranger's house in the middle of nowhere in the dark! What did you think I was gonna do?"

Silas smirks, closing the door to the car. "Fair point. This part of town is its own horror movie," he claims.

I let out a hammering sigh, calming my racing heartbeat. "Why are you even in my car? Don't you have your own?" I ask, fidgeting with my fingers. My hand keeps a close distance to the knife in my pocket.

"Because we've got business to take care of, and it's not on Cyclone Road, Hewitt," he replies, emphasizing on my new last name. "And yes, but my car's out of gas." He then types something into my GPS and I look at him confused.

"What are your doing?"

"Well you need to know where to go, don't you?" He replies, concentrating on the GPS.

"Yeah, so you should tell me where we're going before you start screwing up my car!" I slap his hand away, yet his expression remains still and cold. "Now what do I have to do to get you off my ass for good?"

Silas sits back into the seat, his arm resting on the ledge of the car door. "How about for once, I ask a question," he says, smugly. "Why are you so against me?"

I laugh. "That's hilarious. Even you should know the answer to that." Silas looks at me as if he's awaiting some kind of answer. I run my tongue along the rim of my bottom teeth. He's completely clueless. "Fine, let me spell it out for you." I hold up my fingers and point to each one as I begin to list things off. "You blackmail me into helping you with... whatever it is we're doing. You lead me to some remote house in the pitch black. And you're an arrogant little shit that has no compassion once or ever. Does that answer your question?"

I barely get a reaction out of him. God, it's like he's made of stone. "You'd very much like this conversation to be over, wouldn't you?"

"What gave it away?" At this point, we both are sitting forward, just staring out into the inky abyss of night. My knife is still sitting in my pocket, just waiting for its chance to breach a layer of skin and draw blood. "Look I just want to get this over and done with," I say, not eyeing him.

"My thoughts exactly, but you're the one behind the wheel."

I groan and start the engine, still not making eye contact with him.

The drive is quiet, apart from the nagging and annoying voice of my GPS telling me when and where to turn or stop. I don't say a word to Silas. I just want to get this, whatever this is over with so I can move on with my life. That being said, there's no guarantee that this will all end after tonight. For all I know, he has this whole plot neatly planned out. I do this favor for him and he still stabs me in the back, getting away with everything and leaving me on a rack to dry. Whatever happens, someone is going to get what's coming to them.

As I'm driving, I glance over at Silas for a split second before whipping my head forward. "You still haven't answered my question," I say.

"Which question?" He asks. I look over at him again and his attention is clearly on his phone.

"You said you were gonna tell me what you want me to do," I remind him. His eyes don't leave the glow of his phone screen. "Or did you change your mind about the whole deal and now you're just sending me on a wild goose chase?"