When it all began..

I slump down on the sofa and pick up the TV remote. I absentmindedly flick through the channels. Why is day time television so boring? Suddenly I hear a sharp pearcing cry coming from Lara's bedroom. "Mummy!" She cries out, "ow mummy owww!!!" Out of instinct I put down the TV remote and rush up the stairs. Lara is lying down in her pink crumpled duvet. I pick up my daughter and hold her close to my chest.

"Mummys here darling! Mummys here."

"It hurts mummy" she cries sobbing into my chest.

"What hurts baby?" I ask her.

"Everything mummy". I pull up

her pink t shirt as she squeals in pain. "Ssshhh" I soothe her as I peer down at her back. My jaw drops as I see a giant violet bruise. I stroll through to my bedroom, still clutching Lara to my chest. I pick up my mobile and dial Jake's number.

"Hey honey", he answers the call.

" honey it's Lara" I sob down the phone.

"What's wrong?" he soothes, panic in his voice.

" I heard her screaming so I checked her over and found a giant purple bruise on her back".

"Calm down honey", he says "take her to the hospital, I'll try and leave work and meet you there."

We say our goodbyes and I put down the phone. Lara is still wailing into my chest. I diall the number of a local taxi firm and request a lift to the hospital. I grab my changing bag and fill it with nappies and snacks, trying to balance Lara in my arms. I grab Lara's favourite toy, a rabbit called Honey and she clenches it to her chest. I run outside and wave at the taxi driver. Inside the taxi I sit down and put Lara on my knee, clutching her hand tightly. By the time we arrive at the hospital Lara has calmed down, but her face is still scarlett. As I lift Lara out of the taxi, I see Jake get out of the car. She puts her arms out to her dad and he takes her from my arms.

"Whats up?" He can see there are tears in my eyes.

"What's wrong with her? Is it my fault?"

"Don't be silly" Jake says, rubbing my back with his free arm.

When we arrive inside the A&E department, a snooty receptionist takes our names and directs us to a seat. Lara points to a toy rocking horse, so Jake puts her on the floor. It pains me to see her fall to the floor as she tries to find her feet. Jake lunges forwards to scoop her up, but she flaps around in his arms. He gives her a kiss and puts her back on the floor where she crawls towards the horse. I hear a high pitched scream and realise its mine. Jake sits back down in his chair and pulls me close to his chest. I instantly feel protected in my husbands arms. I rest my head on his chest, breathing in his aftershave and wetting his shirt with my tears. I feel his hands stroking my hair, as they always do. I don't know how long we are sat there before Lara crawls over and clambers onto my knee. I run my hands through her golden blonde locks before pulling her close to me. The consultant calls Lara's name. I put my daughter on the floor before standing up and placing her on my hip. Jake clutches my other hand. I lay Lara down on the whitewashed bed. The doctor asks me to undress her. I carefully take off her clothes and she squeals in pain. There they are. The purple bruises pertruding from her pale skin. The doctor looks shocked and gives me a grave expression. He prods at my daughters bruises and she lets out a peircing squeal. Out of instinct I lunge forward but Jake pushes me back and puts an arm around me. Then the doctor asks his questions.

"Has your daughter had a fall recently?"

"No", I look at Jake for assurance and he shakes his head.

"Have you, a friend or family member done anything to harm Lara?" My jaw drops ready to defend myself, but Jake buts in.

"Our daughter lives in a safe environment, we would never let her come into contact with anyone who would hurt her."

"I'm sorry to say" the doctor begins "but the bruises on Laras skin appear to be forced. There looks like some underlying damage,so I'm going to send her for some X-rays". Jake steps forward and lifts our daughter into his arms.He sits her on a chair and begins dressing her.

"Now if you don't mind waiting outside,I'll send a consultant to take you off to the X-ray room", the doctor says.