Pisces Goes With Virgo

PISCES GOES WITH VIRGO

Maybe astrology has something right. Even if the stars you were born under don't dictate your personality, there might be something to it predicting what kind of personalities are best suited for each other. What aspects of personality make people click? What could a bad boy and a nerd possibly have in common? If there are two people who appear to have completely opposite values on the outside, how do they possibly connect on a romantic level?

The thing that always gets me thinking about compatibility is the examination of Harry Potter. There are probably many more essays written about why Harry chose Ginny than I have read. The examination always looks closely at Harry's relationships with Hermione and with Cho Chang and cuts to the chase on what makes Ginny a match.

[find the full essay by Gowdie of The Leaky Cauldron forum in the inline comments ->]

It's about humour, a thing easy to overlook if you've only watched the movies recently and are foggy on the events of the books. Harry's snarky insights and shared smiles with Ginny are a little lost in the movie theatre. And Ginny could've been replaced with a cardboard cut-out.

I digress. Rowling could've set Harry up with up with Hermione or Cho and probably no one would've questioned it, but Ginny has the dry sense of wit and dark humour that Harry has and that brings them together.

So when I think about compatibility, this is always what I think of first. Harry's need for humour in his world and Ginny's ability to give it to him. There has to be something to bring couples together. There has to be a something in the way that their personalities gel. 

Core Needs

So, what is your character need from their partner? Maybe they don't know, the same way Harry didn't know that finding Cho Chang pretty wouldn't be enough to build a relationship on. Maybe their sexual attractions don't always match up with their core needs, as too often happens in real life.

For Jane in Natalie's Diary, Jane is small and she is an outsider and eventually a leader. All are reasons that she avoids being vulnerable. She often denies that she needs help and insists she's fine despite all the trauma. (Spoiler alert, she is not) She can't be vulnerable with Kate (even in a non-romantic way) because Kate needs her support. She never quite drops her guard around Dean enough because he is very smart and hides his own vulnerabilities. Rhys is the one person she is vulnerable around, and most importantly, he never treats her like she's weak or fragile after. Jane doesn't need to be babied, she just needs a break from being strong. Rhys not only respects that, he's lowkey intimidated by her potential.

Satisfying the core need can be the difference between a good relationship and the perfect one. Keep that in mind in the plotting of love triangles. There are plenty of reasons to love someone. Different characters offer different perks, but someone who fills the core need role is a very powerful kind of person.