"I'm sure he hasn't." Liz looked up in surprise and Isabel reprimanded herself for her rather testy tone and added, "Sorry."

Liz responded by closing the door to the small kitchen and Isabel felt an ice-cold hand squeeze her heart. Just a little bit.

What now?

"He hasn't told you that a special agent from the FBI came to see me?"

The hand squeezed tighter. "No." Damn you, Max Evans.

Liz frowned. "That's odd."

"Tell me, Liz," Isabel said, a hint of impatience in her strained voice.

"He wanted to know what happened that night. He brought up the...force field Max used."

Isabel felt faint. "He what?" she whispered.

Liz took a step towards her, concern in her eyes.

I must look ready to keel over, Isabel thought. I certainly feel like doing that.

"David told the agent and I got the feeling that the agent was more inclined to believe David than me."

"What division was he from?" Isabel croaked.

"He said it was a special branch of the FBI, in Albuquerque."

"Special," Isabel murmured and put the coffee cup down. Her hand was shaking too badly to hold it. "They know..."

Liz started shaking her head. "I'm sorry... I thought Max had told you."

Isabel laughed bitterly. "He probably didn't want to worry me. That's Max for you."

Liz seemed to consider this and then move on. "I think that's why there's a delay in setting a date for the hearing. I think this agent is still...investigating."

"And he mentioned Max specifically?" Isabel felt nauseous.

Liz nodded. "But I didn't say anything."

Isabel waved her assuring statement away. "I know you didn't."

Liz seemed relieved by this and it suddenly became very clear to Isabel why Max had seemed adamant on keeping his distance from Liz. "He's protecting you."

"Sorry?" Liz asked, still staring at her worriedly.

"Max. That's why he hasn't contacted you or arranged a meeting with you and the rest of us yet."

Liz looked confused. And a bit frightened. "A meeting?"

Isabel closed her eyes and shook her head; trying to clear her thoughts. Her palms were sweating and she was having troubles breathing. Their cover was blown. The authorities knew of Max. If Michael found out about this, he wouldn't even be interested in meeting with Liz. He wouldn't need to. He would have all the reason to get out of here. To go into hiding. To change identities. How could Max do this? Why would he keep this from them and jeopardize their safety?

There was suddenly a comforting hand on her shoulder and Isabel opened her eyes to see Liz standing in front of her. "Are you okay?"

Of course, she answered her own mental question. Because of her. Because of Liz Parker. If they had to go into hiding, he wouldn't be able to see Liz. Even now, when he had decided to keep Liz at arm's length, he could keep tabs on Liz through his sister.

"Thank you for telling me," Isabel murmured.

"I just thought that Max had told you."

"It's okay," Isabel said. "You couldn't know."