Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

I woke up in the lot. I got there late last night after Darry,yelled at me and Pony. I told you he hates us, and I can't stand him either. If it weren't for Soda, me and Pony would have been in a Foster home a while ago. I shiver as a gust of wind hits my face. Man I wish I had a light on me. "Do you ever plan on Going back" i hear Pony, say from behind me making my heart skip a beat. "Pony, you almost scared me half to death" I say and he sits down next to me. "You know, you had us all worried sick" he says and I look away from him "what are you talking about? They don't care about me. All I have is you Johnny and Soda, other than that my own brother hates me and the rest of the gang thinks I'm all weak cause I'm a girl, and I hate it" I say raising my voice a little and standing up. "You know that ain't true" Pony, says and I grunt and kick the the dirt. "I just want to not have to worry about Darry, getting so mad one day, that he hits one of us. And when he does, I'm running away and I ain't coming back" I say and I sit back down. "You got a light?" I ask and he hands it to me. I take a long drag from the cigarette and let the nicotine, calm me down. "I think I'm ready to go back now" I say and Pony, smiles which causes me to grin a little since he has a smile that reminds me of our dad... When we make it back to the house I've smoked about five cigarettes because I knew that it was probably going to be the last time I'd be smoking for a while since Darrys, going to be bugging me on that one more often. When we walk into the house everyone looks at me and I couldn't help but glare at everything, I just felt so angry. "You had us worried sick, where did you go!" Soda says raising his voice a little which startled me since soda has never raised his voice at me. "I went to the lot" I say and walk into the kitchen to get some food since I hadn't eaten anything since Yesterday morning. "Riley, get back over here" I hear Soda yell from the back room "I'm getting food" I yell back at him not even caring if he's mad or not, I'm not dealing with this right now. "What is up with you lately?" Soda, asks when he comes into the kitchen "nothing, what's up with you?" I say and take out some eggs and and a frying pan. "Why did you run out like that, you scared us all something awful" Soda, says sincerely "I'm sorry, Soda I just got mad at Darry, so bad that I didn't know what else to do" I put down the frying pan and crack the eggs open "I just feel like he doesn't even like me, if it weren't for you, I'd be in a girls home already" I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. Riley Curtis never opens up to people. Never. And I ain't starting now, it just ain't happening. "Riley, you know that ain't true" Soda, says and I look back at him and he looked so sad, like a post puppy who's been kicked too many times. "That's really how you feel?" I hear Darry, say which scared me to death cause I hadn't known that he'd been standing there all this time. "Well if you really cared you would have known this long before now" I say heaving out a heavy breath. "Now, can y'all leave me alone so I can make myself something to eat?" I ask with a tone of voice I didn't recognize. Well at least coming out of me. "You can not talk to me like that!" Darry, yells. Wow I would've thought he learned his lesson about yelling, but I guess not. I ignore him and continue to cook my eggs. "You know, you've got a problem with- yelling in my face" I say and out the cooked eggs onto a plate. "I wouldn't have to yell If you would just listen to me" Darry, retorts and I sigh knowing that it was true, I should listen to me. I mean I am his kid sister. But he never listens to me so why the hell should I even consider listening to him. "Fine. I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you hate me so much. I'm sorry that I can't do anything right. I'm sorry that I screw so many things up. I'm sorry that I'm too weak. I'm sorry that I smoke too much. I'm sorry that I'm the reason mom and dad are dead. I'm sorry ok" I scream letting the words pour out of my mouth, not even caring about the tears streaming down my pale face. I just didn't care anymore I wanted to die. I just wanted to not exist. I needed to feel safe again in this hell I call my life. I just needed someone to tell me everything would be ok. I just needed a friend. I needed my parents.