Chapter Fifty Seven

Zacznij od początku

"You haven't changed." She laughed. "You never do."

He smiled and looked at her, unable to find more words. Finally he looked about, noting her companions. "Why are you all waiting here? You should be meeting with the Emperor at once!"

Maranus stepped forward and crossed his arms.

"We've been trying, but no one seems to want to let us in."

Garion looked embarrassed, then angry.

"They shouldn't have kept you waiting; it's disgraceful, especially when we asked for your aid." He paused to gather his anger in and control it. He looked again at her company then set his face firm. "You ride in fine company, Elena, with a Prince and many of the Hilliri."

"I do. Are we all welcome among you?" She couldn't assume anything.

Garion rubbed his face with his hands.

"Of course, I'm sorry. Things are just not going well, though I'm very glad you're here." He stepped forward and looked up to address Liran, still atop his horse.

"My Lord, I am Garion Julianus, Field Marshall of Estallium. On behalf of the Emperor, I bid you welcome."

He gave a well practised and easy bow.

Liran gave a saddle bow.

"I am grateful for your welcome, Lord Garion, and eager to meet your Emperor." He dismounted and gave his reins over to another, dusted off his pants and jacket, and waited for Garion to lead them on.

Pleased to finally receive an appropriate welcome, Elena followed Garion and Liran. Maranus joined them too, and they filed up the hill toward the pavilion. Garion directed the clerk at the desk to look after their company and asked them to wait while he informed the Emperor. They stood for a brief moment looking at the closed tent flap, but it opened back up in right away, and Garion bade them enter.

Inside, it was fully furnished; filled with rugs, chairs, tables and lamps. Light came in through flaps on the upper level which could be closed when needed. An opening on each side led to separate chambers; sleeping quarters, no doubt.

It only took a moment for Elena to orient herself, scanning the room and several people to find the one she was most eager to see.

Corillion Valeria, Emperor of Estallium, large, broad shouldered, dressed in red and gold with a fur cloak, stepped forward, bowing his head towards Liran.

"Greetings, My Lord Prince."

He looked up, noting Liran's height. Elena stood slightly behind Liran, and so was not noticed at once. The Emperor offered a hand which Liran held and shook, taking his time, sizing up the Emperor in the process.

Corillion's face was stern and serious, as if he had been dealing with grave things for far too long. Elena noted that his red hair had finally become mostly grey, and he had gained a good deal of girth in his waist, as she had expected. He gestured to a seating area.

"Please come in and make yourselves at home."

Liran stepped to the side and sat in the chair he was offered, leaving Elena fully exposed to the Emperor's view.

"Elena."

Corillion's mouth opened in surprise as he took in the sight of her.

Overcome, Elena stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him. Garion grinned from his spot in the corner.

"Cori." She whispered into his ear as he wrapped his arms about her and gave her a hard squeeze. Once, they had been as close as brother and sister, but that had been many years ago.

He let go of her only to cup her face in his hands, examining her.

"You haven't changed a bit, Elena. Not a wrinkle. How is that possible?"

He shook his head. He released her and looked her over further, examining her uniform. He had lost all awareness of the others.

He struggled to find words. There was so much to say.

"I didn't know if you'd come."

"Of course, I said I would send an army. I told Tarion. Didn't he tell you?"

"No, I mean, I didn't think you'd come with the army. I thought you looked after the Prince's fortress guard."

"Your information is a little out of date. I am Field Marshall of Castillon now." Suddenly she realized she had slipped completely out of formality.

"...your Grace."

Corillion tilted his head back and laughed.

"Well, congratulations, you certainly are capable of it." He sighed and settled a little and turned to Liran. "Forgive me, my Prince, I haven't seen my beloved kinswoman in far too long. I forget myself. Please, Field Marshall Valeria, Commander Maranus, take a seat. We must discuss what you have come here for."

In a breath, he had switched from light hearted to serious. It had always been his talent, Elena recalled. He turned toward one wall and called out: "Callistira, come, please join us." He took a seat facing the others.

A woman in an ordinary legion officer's uniform appeared at one the side of the chamber openings and took a place behind Corillion, standing at attention, as if she was a guard.

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca