Chapter 6 - What happened?

My last class of the day was probably one of my favorites. It was my creative writing class. As I walked through the door though my mood was suddenly shattered. There in the back of the classroom next to my normal seat was Felix. What was he doing in here? Dang it, did he have this class with me too? I really wanted to bang my head off of something because I was not in the mood to deal with him.

I went over to my desk and plopped down in my seat, keeping my eyes on the front of the classroom. But I did notice something odd on Felix's face out of the corner of my eye. I angled my head slightly to try to get a better look. He had a bloody tissue up his nose and a bruise was starting to form just below his right eye. I chanced a glance at his hands and saw more bruises and dried blood on his knuckles, that doesn't look like it was from the fight in the cafeteria. Now that I'm thinking about it the bruise was on the wrong side of his face Titus was right-handed not left-handed. Did Felix get into another fight? Jeez, maybe the guy really was dangerous.

I thought about asking him what he was doing, picking fights with all the guys at school. But Felix was angling himself away from me and staring out the window again. What is with this guy? Before I could think too much more on the subject the teacher walked into the classroom to start the lesson for the day. When the teacher set us off to do a writing exercise, he came up to me halfway through and I had this feeling of dread because I knew what he was going to say.

"Janet, would you be able to work with Felix on our up coming project because I know that you still didn't have a partner for that," my teacher stated more than asked. Then he turned around and went back up to the front of the room without giving me a chance to argue.

"So, you're Janet?" I heard Felix murmur to the left of me. I stiffened when my name left his lips, and suddenly I felt like I was being hunted by a very dangerous predator. I chanced a glance at Felix and knew immediately upon looking at him that that was a bad idea. He had this smug look on his face that made me really want to poke his bruises.

"Yeah, what's it to you?" I asked trying to sound nonchalant. This could mean a lot of trouble for me though if he really was with Ashley.

"Nothing, I'm just happy to be able to work with you," Felix said, although the look on his face said something else entirely and I was having trouble deciphering it. My turn to take a stab at him.

"So Felix, what happened to your hands?" I asked casually as I looked him directly in the eyes. I watched as his face darkened and he pulled his hands underneath his desk so that I couldn't see them anymore. Must've been a pretty bad fight then if he is ashamed of his bloodied knuckles.

"What does it matter to you?" Felix asked coldly, glaring at me as he fidgeted in his seat. I was taken aback about the rather large shift in mood just over a question. He seemed to be wanting to avoid answering the question but now my curiosity was piqued and I wasn't going to let him get away that easily.

"Well considering the guy that you fought in the cafeteria isn't a lefty and you have bruises on the right side of your face I assume that you probably got ambushed by most likely more than one guy sometime between the end of lunch and this class," I told him, making it known that I could see his bruises.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Felix replied trying to feign innocence but I could see it in his eyes that I was right and that he was scared that I was right.

"Sure you do," I murmured as I leaned closer to him and reached my hand out to touch the bruise under his eye. Felix flinched slightly when I touched it but I was making sure to be very gentle. "There's one right here."

Felix seemed a bit tense but he didn't try to take my hand off of his face. With him being this close to me I could see the scars on his face that looked like they were probably from previous fights. Scars around his left eye and a couple more scars that looked like they were from having his lips split one too many times. But then I saw something that was bright coloured on his ear that drew my attention. My eyes widened when I realized that it was blood dripping down from a slit that was about a half an inch long and went all the way through his ear lobe.

"Did they have a knife?" I asked him failing to keep my voice steady. Felix seemed to catch on and quickly pulled my hand away from his face and quickly covered his ear with his hand. He stood up seconds before the last bell rang, not giving me a chance to ask anything more. What the heck had happened to him?