A Month To Live (31)

Start from the beginning

‘You guys are trying to use reverse psychology on me but it’s not working!’ George exclaimed, pointing at us both. We stayed silent for a few seconds and I drummed the table with my fingers, trying to be casual.

‘Not even a little bit?’ I asked once the silence had gone on long enough. He shook his head at me, the scowl firmly planed on his face now. 'Guess you lost this game of chicken, Georgie-boy,' I added.

'Fine!' he said, jumping to his feet suddenly. The chair he was on almost went flying as he turned and started heading for the door. 'But if I do this, then you owe me!'

'No way!' I laughed. 'If anything, you'd owe me!'

‘George, sit down,’ the supervisor said lazily, barely moving from his napping position.

‘I’m on a mission, sorry,’ George replied, tugging open the door.

‘Oh please don’t go,’ the supervisor said, voice dripping with sarcasm. ‘Your presence will be sorely missed.’

George merely tipped an imaginary hat and darted out of the room without another word.

‘Raegan, you can be quite manipulative when you want to be,' Bradley commented.

‘Hey, I was just giving him a little encouragement,' I grinned.

‘George usually doesn't need any,' Bradley smiled. 'Not sure what's gotten into him.'

‘He’s whipped,’ I laughed, resting my elbow on the table to lean my chin in my hand. ‘I hope Tara doesn't turn him down.'

‘Why would she? She likes him too, right?’ Bradley asked.

‘Yeah she does... but you never know,’ I said with a shrug. 'Maybe she thinks he just wants to sleep with her. Or that he'd cheat on her. Or maybe she doesn't want to get into a relationship right now. Perhaps-'

‘Okay girls are just complicated,’ Bradley said, rubbing the back of his neck with a frown.

‘We’re not that complicated,' I laughed.

‘You can’t be serious,’ he snorted. ‘I can barely understand you or Remi half the time.'

‘That’s just because you’re one confused little boy,’ I smirked, patting his head.

‘Confused? Yes. Little? Far from it,’ he replied, pulling my hand away with a grin.

‘Thirty-seven,’ I said, rolling my eyes at him. I picked up the paper football and flicked it at his head. 'Score.'

‘I didn’t even make the posts,’ he complained.

‘You didn’t need to. I was obviously going to score.'

‘You'd suck at real football,’ he told me. ‘You’re too small to play.’

‘I’m not that small!’

'You'd literally get crushed out there,' he smirked.

‘I’d bring you down with me,’ I sniffed.

‘I’d like to see you try,’ he said, smirk widening.

‘Go to hell,’ I muttered.

‘Where d’you think I came from?’ he replied in an awful impersonation of Kyle's voice which made me laugh.

‘You smartass.'

‘That’s not exactly an insult, you know?'

‘Who says it was meant to be?’ I asked.

‘I assumed it was, like always,’ he said, leaning back in his chair and stretching his arms above his head.

I opened my mouth to reply but was interrupted by the supervisor as he called to us across the room.