Chapter 2- Maseria

I awoke in a rowboat, with a lantern at the front. The sun was just setting in a beautiful sunset. The two men were rowing silently. I sat up, a blanket around my shoulders. I was still in my pajamas, old sweats and a tank top. I had no shoes.

“Where?” I managed to force out. My voice was horse.

“Like I said, Maseria,” The thin man said. “Welcome to the kingdom, Sayuka.” And he gestured to a shape behind him.

My focus was still a little off, but I squinted at the shape. My focus came back and I gasped. On an island, was a kingdom. At the top, was an elaborate castle, the kind you would see in a fairy tale, and all around the castle, were houses. Nearer the top, were the better quality houses, and at the bottom, where the houses made of mud and grass. We docked in a marine, and the men dragged me to a golden carriage drawn by four white horses. They threw me in and sat in the seats opposing me.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“To the castle where you will meet the king tomorrow.”

“The king? But Canada has a democracy.” I frowned.

“Don’t you get it? You are not in this Canada any more. You are in the capital of Maseria!” The portly guard sharply said, in a deep, gravely voice.

I stared at them. Not in Canada? Maseria? This wasn’t happening. Several minutes passed. I decided this was a dream, so just go with it.

“Can I know your names?” I asked, thinking I could make some convocation.

“I am Sterling, and this here is Baul.” The thin man said, gesturing at himself and the portly man.

“I am Mia Stardiff.” I smiled. Sterling seemed nice.

“We know. Now shut your mouth. I have no patience for you.” Baul grouchily said. He seemed older that Sterling.

Wait, they know who I am?

“You know me?” I was astonished.

“You are the one. Everyone knows of you. You, Mia, are to lift the curse off the king.” Sterling explained.

“Me? I’m just fourteen! How am I going to lift a curse?” I stared at my hands.

“That’s what I’m wondering.” Baul muttered.

The carriage suddenly stopped, throwing me forward. Thankfully, Sterling caught me. I looked up and saw that Sterling had took off his helmet. He was a young man, with silver eyes, and blond hair. He winked, and set me on the ground. I stared at him. He looked so much younger than I had predicted. Nineteen? He put on his helmet and grabbed me.

“I must act serious now. I’m sorry if I hurt you.” He whispered in my ear, and prodded me lightly with his spear. We walked up the stairs to the castle doors where two statues guarded the door. They were made of marble. As we passed them, I looked back at them. They had been broken at the back, in two places on their backs. The winged boy came to mind.

“Sterling?” I asked, hesitantly.

“Yes?” He whispered.

“Are there winged people in this kingdom?”

Sterling suddenly stopped and started to tremble. Baul turned to me and slapped me on the face, hard. I went sprawling.Baul stomped over.

“Stand up, you nosy fool.”

I stood up, not wanting to be hurt again.

“I don’t understand.” I whispered.

“Sterling’s younger brother was cursed with wings, and was banished from Sayuka like all the Winged Ones.” Baul growled. His breath came through helmet visor. It smelled like rotten meat.

“Wings are not a curse.” Sterling said, quietly.

“The King says they are, so it is!” Baul spat at Sterling.

“Baul, we must get Miss. Stardiff to her bedchamber.” Sterling said, slightly louder. “It is late, she must be tired from her travels.”

Baul muttered something under his breath, and shoved me forward.

“Sterling, I’m sorry.” I said quietly.

“It’s okay. How were you supposed to know? Now, shush. We’re here.”

We had arrived, after many stairs, to a small wooden door. Sterling opened the door, and bowed.

“Your room, my lady.”

I blushed and hurried into the room. Baul slammed the door, and locked it. I span around, and ran to the door.

“We can’t have you running away, can we?” Snarled Baul.

I banged on the door, as Baul walked off, laughing.

“I’m so sorry, Mia. I’m just following orders.” Sterling said through the door.

I sank to my knees. Tears came out of my eyes. Why me?

“Miss?” A quavering voice came from a corner. I looked up, and standing by a fireplace, was a young girl, only about ten years of age. She wore a black dress that covered her feet. A white apron made her look like a maid.

“Miss, we must prepare you for bed. It is a big day for you, tomorrow.” She said, trying to smile, but I could see she was scared.

“What is your name?” I asked.

“Fay, Miss.” She said, her eyes darting around, like she was looking for someone.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“No, Miss!” She said quickly. She walked over, and handed me a white nightgown. “If you need anything, just call, Miss.” And with that, she quickly ran out the door. I stared at the nightgown, and decided if I sleep in this dream, no nightmare, I would wake up in the real world.

I stripped down to my undergarments, and caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror. I was still myself. Thin, porcelain skin, bright green eyes, and long black hair. I had my mother’s eyes.

“Will I ever see her again?” I wondered aloud. I decided not to think about that. I put on the gown. It fit me perfectly. I went into my bed. It was huge, with a canvas all around it. I lay on the soft pillows and let sleep overtake me.