Eleven Past Five

#A4Day5: Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

MAINE WAS AGAIN LOST, not in the woods but rather in the streets. Not that she wasn't good at directions. She was just caught up in her own world. She walked the whole stretch of the boulevard past all the buildings and landmarks, yet still, she didn't know where she was heading. But she kept walking until her feet were sore.

She felt the need for some space. Before she knew it, Maine was going through the door, just like the way she used to. It had been quite a while since she had visited the place; their favorite place rather. She was glad some sheet luck brought her to this place again.

It was here that she met Richard. He was an aspiring engineer and she was a struggling journalist in some famed institution. They became good friends then, nothing more. She knew he was still fresh from a broken relationship of two years. She would have been everything she dreamed of if not for that fated day. Some things were best forgotten.

Maine went out of the cafe. She didn't want to go home. Well, not yet. Her watch told her it was eleven past five. She dumped the cup of coffee in the garbage bin. All of a sudden, she felt her world spin. No, she thought that she's the one spinning. Everything was a whirlpool. I clearly remembered everything as if it happened today.

"It's my fault, right?"

"No, Maine. It's mine."

"Kailan mo ba siya makakalimutan?"

"I don't know if I can.."

"When will you give me a chance, Richard?"

"When time comes, that this particular spot of the cafe is empty. That means, I totally forgot all about her."

Those were the voices that had never left her, especially her heart. When she opened her eyes, she saw a pitch black darkness. She tried screaming, but all that came out of her mouth was a meek whisper. Then she saw from afar a wavering spark which she followed. All of a sudden, she was distracted by a bright light. Maine couldn't see anything except for a door. She entered through it.

She spotted Richard and asked him what happened. But he looked away as though he didn't recognize her.

"But why is Ate Maine sleeping in a box? Wouldn't she catch a cold, Kuya RJ? And why are there big candles?", she heard Richard's sister, Angel said.

"She's resting Angel. Let her get some sleep, okay?"

"Won't she come back like mom?"

Then she realized. That was why there were bright lights; she had seen her own end. She runs as fast as she could; back to the cafe. The chairs were she and Richard used to occupy was empty. She went out to the streets. This not happening, she said. Today might be her chance. Finally, he emptied his heart for someone new, someone like her.

She felt something on her face. She was under rain's spell but she lay still on the empty street. She jolted up and ran to take cover. As she was hastily taken out her hanky in one pocket, her wristwatch snapped. She picked it up and it startled her, it read ELEVEN PAST FIVE