Chapter 6

"You can't deny it, Lauren! You do have an attraction to him, whatever you might say," teased Gwen.

"Oh, God's teeth!" she cursed. She lifted her white skirts and trudged toward the bedroom. After their conversation, she had not seen the last of him for that day. When she went in search of her brothers, he was training with them. And what she went in search of her father after hearing of his return, he was there discussing war matters with him. He was everywhere. How can that be? How can he be everywhere at once? In my life, in my mind?

The women exchanged knowing looks while following her into the next room.

"I'm doing this for my father's sake, not my own."

One of the older women, Helda, lifted the McGraw tartan from the bed and proceeded to wrap it over the white wedding dress around the bride's waist and then over her shoulder, like a kilt should be worn. "But what about children, my lady? What of an heir for the Laird McLellan?"

Lauren raised an eyebrow at her, therefore giving a silent answer.

"Oh, come now, Lauren," her younger sister chided. "He is a good man. He has been nothing but politeness since he arrived."

"To you, maybe," the McGraw lass grumbled. She turned to Lucy, the local seamstress, and asked, "I won't be wearing this white material while I'm travelling, will I?"

The middle aged woman shook her head and smiled in humour. "No, I have a dress especially made for long distance travelling and t'is comfortable to sleep in."

Helda laughed to herself, drawing the other women's attention, and joked, "Who says she'll be sleeping in her dress?" The woman laughed, immediately understanding the dirty joke. But looking into the bride's dark glare, they were silenced. Helda, though was unfazed. "You might enjoy it, Lauren." This earned her an even darker glare. She merely shrugged it off.

Lauren decided against wasting her energy on anger and thanked Lucy for the thought. "I shall wear it, Lucy. Thank you."

The older woman nodded and they then left the bride in peace. She needed the time before her marriage to the Highland Laird. Despicable Highland Laird.

"She has had many men lust after her, both she and her sister, being two such bonny young ladies. But Lady Lauren knows how to look after herself, as you'll learn by the sworn testimony of every man in the clan."

Kane raised an eyebrow as he looked around the clansmen speaking amongst themselves. They had donned their best for the joining of the two clans.

Reagan smiled upon seeing the lovely younger lady of the castle walk towards them with her younger brother, Stephan, in tow.

"Laird McLellan, Reagan, it is a glorious day, is it not?" she greeted cheerfully.

Stephan grinned, happy to see the McLellan warriors again.

The three turned their heads to look at the McGraw Laird as he stood by the staircase, awaiting his daughter and greeting his clan's people as they arrived. The parson passed, heading straight for the altar, readying himself for the ceremony ahead. "If the groom would please stand at the altar, we will begin the ceremony in a few moments."

Kane excused himself from Gwen's presence and made his way and made his way to his place before the altar with his second-in-command right behind him. "Tell me more, Reagan," he said quietly over his shoulder.

He replied almost instantly, speaking for his Laird's ears only, "From the stories of the servants and the villagers, I have learnt that her latest escapade was a few weeks ago when her sister was forcefully betrothed t' an English Laird and... she managed t' break it off, though no one knows how, but it was without her father's consent or knowledge and by herself. She's done many such things before, mostly with a sword, and all for her sister or entire clan."