Chapter 3

Golden rays of light beamed though the one window in Kane's guest chambers, signifying a new day. He sat up in his bed, rubbing his hands over his sleep-weary face, his bare feet touching the cold stone floor. Today he was to meet his bride.

The door to his chambers opened and Reagan stumbled in, his eyesight still ailing as an affect of the majority of drink he had consumed the night before. "What is it, Reagan?" Kane grumbled.

The man quickened to right himself in his position before stating, "Laird McGraw cannae find his daughter, My Laird. He insists that we explore the town before the meeting."

Kane grumbled an inaudible reply, rubbing his hands over his face yet again.

Donning his clan's tartan and a simple shirt, he rose and set out to greet his host prior to his outing. "Laird McGraw."

"Laird McLellan, I have requested that my man, Michael, escort you around the town."

Why would I need an escort? He simply nodded his head, unwilling to question the old man.

The town was merry, the people talking to each other freely, the children holding each other's hands as they rushed through the crowd in the marketplace. Three of his men, Reagan, Boderich and his young squire, Jamie, walked behind him. Kane and his two warriors astonished people they passed. Large, brawny trio they were intimidating but to some of the women, on the other hand... the McLellan men were very aware of the lust-filled gazes of young females. Jamie stopped to look at some freshly-made cake. Reagan and Boderich stopped also, but because three girls with baskets on their arms had captured their attention. Kane went on, glancing at the different faces that skimmed past his vision. The man, Michael, had disappeared up ahead, leaving Kane to discover the town for himself.

He sat at the public house, sipping on light beer, examining the occupants of the market: the stall owners, the bargain hunters, the tradesmen, the children snatching little items from the tables before the owner could see. He especially noticed three small boys causing havoc amongst the townspeople. "They are like that often."

He turned his head, heeding the barkeeper filling another man's cup. "What?"

"The boys' yer noticed. They're constantly annoying the town folk."

Kane chuckled. "Who are they?"

The barkeeper walked up to his table and began wiping down the woodwork. "They're the Laird's youngest. Ever since they could walk, they caused trouble."

Kane's smile disappeared, his expression considering. His sharp blue eyes scanning the crowd, hoping to find the three red heads. They must have inherited the colour from their mother, because their father had a dark brown, but greying, mop of hair. Before long, the trio of youngsters rushed past, knocking his table, sending his ale toppling to the ground. The barkeeper cried out angrily at the children. Kane didn't acknowledge the mess but he paid for the spilt drink before walking away. So, the three boys were to be his brothers-in-law. I wonder how she puts up with them.

Combing his fingers through his dark hair, he examined the darker areas of the buildings surrounding him. And there, in one of the dark alleys, two men had rounded on a woman, caging her in the corner. On the men's visual features, he could see a bruised eye and the other he could see blood staining his chin and neck from his open mouth. The female was obviously tough but she was now cornered, defenceless. Moving closer, he noticed the old clothes she wore, not raggedy, just old. Taking a closer look at the woman's features, he found himself understanding the two men's reason for their interest. She was a beautiful wench; he could see the physical strength in her jaw and what was emphasized by her clothing.

Oddly, he felt his muscles tightening everywhere, an urge to protect her suddenly overcoming his entire person. He loomed over them, his shadow darkening the alley even more so. An instant before the assaulters could realise what was happening, Kane placed his hands behind their heads and pushed them forward, causing them to smack headfirst into the wall either side of the woman. Instantly, these two dropped, losing consciousness. The dark woman shuddered through a breath, breathing out, "I thank ye', sir."

Kane finally looked at the woman, examining the female from head to toe. From her dark curls to her delectable curves, she was every bit a beauty. A beauty he was now craving. Just as she turned away to flee, he caught her hand, pushing her up against the wall. He took pleasure in the way her feminine curves melded against his masculine contours. Her hands pushed frantically at his chest, stopping when she realised he wouldn't budge, and he groaned as her long legs brushed over his own. An incredibly intense feeling wracked his body. Putting one hand against the wall beside her head, he tucked the other around her waist, bringing her closer. Her jaw muscles tightened, her face glowing red with embarrassment and anger. Her skin was not pale like most of the women he had seen in the McGraw lands, but it was a light tan, browned by the sun. Her full, tempting lips parted as she hissed, "Is that what yer plan was? T' save me from these men only to assault me yerself?"

Kane raised a thick eyebrow. "I'm merely seekin' a reward, lass." Her eyes widened as she realised his intentions. He bent his head lower, his eyes switching from her eyes to her lips. "Just one taste, lass."

His hand left the wall and caressed her curved cheek. Moving his mouth down slowly, she watched as he kept his eyes on hers, piercing into her soul. His lips touched hers, his eyes now closed, relishing the feeling. No, he wanted more, needed more. He brought his mouth down harder on hers, urging her lips to part. Slowly, her eyes drifted closed and her hands ceased to push, only to span broad shoulders as he deepened the kiss. Raking his fingers through her dark hair, he used his other hand to lift her leg, hooking it over his. Desire wracked his body, his muscles tightened when her hand lifted to his cheekbone. She moved her mouth with his, becoming more confident with every passing moment. Kissing her luscious mouth, his tongue doing wicked things to her own, she found his assault impossible to block. Laying one more kiss on her parted lips, he began trailing kisses down her chin and to her neck he placed his tongue, tasting her salty essence. She whimpered. He growled approvingly. "Yer beautiful, lass." He nuzzled his nose against her neck and asked, "What is yer name?"

Catching him unawares, she pushed him away. He stumbled to the opposite wall. "Ye' have taken yer reward, sir. Kindly refrain from askin' anything else o' me!"

With that, she fled the scene, jumping over one of the fallen men, and disappeared into the market's crowd. Who was she? He looked down and then wish he hadn't. He groaned in frustration. Dammit!