Core Access

The dark walls of his cell stood tall and strong as they caged him from the outside. His body pressed against the cold cement as he lazily gazed at the object in front of him. The door, a solid barrier that stood between him and his freedom was the only thing that stopped from escaping.

He'd not worry about the guards who rarely came to check on him because they knew he couldn't do anything. But that wasn't true.

He wanted to get out.

He wanted to go the open worlds, where the prison couldn't reach him.

Where the flash of colors spread out across the sky, where the sounds of living echoed through the land. Where he could taste the sweet temptations of his heart desires.

Yet all that was nothing but a distant dream that left him bitter.

The boy stood up, dragging his shackled feet to the solid barrier. He imagined the burning a hole through the door,  watching as the metal fiber rotted away and allowed him to break through this cage. 

Clenching his fist, he punched the door violently, his thin arms swinging in the air with the shackles clinking against each other as he took his rage out on the door. His voice silently screamed into the room where no one could hear. Finally, when he was out of breath, he leaned against the door and sank down to the floor.

The pitiful tears ran down his cheeks as he gritted his teeth, still pushing his hand against the door. He had enough of it, he had enough of living in a cage like an animal. He wanted a life, he wanted to live and be free.

'Please....OPEN!!' he screamed in his mind and banged his fist against the door once more.

The silence doomed upon him and he allowed the feeling of defeat to sink into his mind. But suddenly, he heard the beeping and the sound of the air pulsing through the gears as the door slowly opened.

The boy strumbled back, thinking that someone had opened the door but saw no one was there. He crawled onto his hand and knees out of the door and peeked out into the barren passageway. Slowly getting up, he stepped out of the cell and listened carefully. No one was around, not a soul or person in sight. 

He looked back to the cell doubtfully, never in his own life was he able to break out and now he finally got a chance. Maybe there was a God in this world that was listening to him.

The boy shook his head and started running down the passageway. Turning corner after corner, he blindly ran through the hallways hoping to find a sign or floor map that could tell him where to go. A few times he stopped and listened to see if there guard nearby. Although he kept ending up in a dead end, it didn't stop him from giving up on his desire to get out.

The sound of leather shoes echoed through the hallway in front of him and he stopped, deciding whether to run back or foolishly face the guard. Thought it would be futile, he didn't want to make too much of noise and decided to listen. He could hear them closing and closing toward him. His breathing was passive and he closed his eyes trying to locate the guard.

An image appeared in his mind, he could hear the guard's steady foot but it didn't sound like it was coming toward him. He patiently waited for the sound to disappear before opening his eyes again. His body relaxed as he let out a deep sigh and began running through the hallway again.

Along the way his way, he saw a door leading into another room and walked toward it. He checked to see if anyone was inside before entering the room, there was a desk with a computer, stationary and red mug in the center, there were also file cabinets full of documents. The boy approached the computer and saw it was still on. He started looking for a map or document of that tell him how to get off here but all he could see was files of people he knew nothing about.