The Other

Two minutes is all it took for the events of the last five hours to fully register with Rythian, but strangely Rythian wasn't sorry for himself or his family. Mostly because when he saw the tower he forgot how to think properly.

  The tower itself was 120 feet of pure black stone and the interior lighting was a combination of solidified blood, drops fire in the walls, and floating flowers. The really eye catching thing though was the night black altar that had a strange red liquid draining out of it.

  Arya flashed Rythian an apologetic smile "sorry about the mess I thought I told my other apprentice to clean up while I was out, but apparently I am mistaken, Balasar get down here right now before I put a portable hole in your room!"

  A loud crash could be heard throughout the tower and a boys voice called back "please no! Not again!"

  "Then get down here and stop stalling! So Rythian what path of magic will you follow? Will it be the path of the thaumaturge defending the world from fluxtaint, maybe you want to make your own spells as a magus, maybe you want to be one with nature as a botanist? Maybe you want the darker aspects of magic, cursing your foes with elaborate rituals as a witch or sacrificing creatures as a blood mage? Perhaps if you are bold or dumb enough will you become a paragon mage proficient in everything and nothing?"

  Rythian thought for a moment then said" I choose the path of the thaumaturge, so I may eradicate the fluxtaint and avenge my family "

  "I thought so, you always are one for revenge, but that is unimportant right now," Arya walked over to one of many bookshelves and pulled down one of the books and handed it to Rythian,
"this is your thauminomicon, it contains all the knowledge of thaumaturgey however it only gives you knowledge you can use, for example you won't learn arcane infusion right after you learn alchemy."

  Rythian looked at the bookshelf, and noticed a large red leatherbound replica of the thauminomicon. Rythian walked over and picked it up "hey uhhh Arya what's this?"

  "Hmm oh it's a Crimson Cult copy of the thauminomicon, but it's in another language and I can't figure out what it-'

  "I pledge my service to the Crimson Cult and the powers of their ancient god may her powers infuse me," Rythian interrupted." I give myself to Mother the alpha and omega the beginning and the end may her powers control the world."

  Arya was stunned "Rythian do you even realize what you just said!?"

  "No what did I say?"

  "Okay so either you can read eldritch and don't realize it or some god is messing with us."

  At this moment Balasar chose to make himself known. "Sorry I'm late I had trouble finding my sacrificial knife then my orb disappeared, then I realized that I left my orb in the altar," Balasar noticed Rythian for the first time, "and I'm sorry but who are you?"

  "Balasar don't be so rude this is my new apprentice Rythian Dimensionweaver."

  "Nice to meet you Rythian I'm Balasar bloodwell," he did a flamboyant bow " blood mage extraordinaire at your service."

"Nice to meet you to Balasar, and it would appear that you and Arya both have a flare for the dramatic."

"Balasar you need to start gathering things to sacrifice we're going to make the next tier of orb."

Balasar imedietly forgot about Rythian "wait are you serious about that?! Gotta go Rythian ima finally get my mages blood orb!" He ran out of the room almost forgetting to grab his current orb in the process.

"I will never understand that boy."