Chapter 7: The Family Business

The pistol's aim, hooked on me, and sways to my movements. Each movement I made and each position I change the gun followed, fixated on me.

Silence lingers through the air as we fail to speak. The brothers share another glance their faces in shock., after the my name left my lips

"Winchester?" Sam repeats, taking a innocent step forward. "Like the rifle?"

Mimicking him I shift myself forward.

"No shit" I tease, lips pursed and arms crossed. "So... Dean and Sam Winchester, I'm guessing you're related to John."

Sam clears his threat and takes initiative instead of his brother. If I didn't know any better, based off of their actions I would've considered Sam being the eldest. He knew how to handle situations appropriately and sympathise with others. His eyes looked broken much like mine however, had a glimpse of hope something which I lack.

"Yeah, we are" he slightly licks his lips and makes his gaze meet me. "He's our father."

I tired to avoid the abominable truth, but hearing it just confirmed it. I wasn't angry like I was before, I was crushed. Growing up I had no immediate family. My mother dead. My father m.i.a. and my siblings unknown.

Family don't end with blood nor does it start. These men before me were strangers, aquatinces yet claiming... are my brothers.

"I know you have one but do you have to be one." I remark, insinuating Dean's unnecessary gun.

Yet he kept it where it was, like a spotlight mimicking my every move. I steadily kept a slow pace approaching Dean and his firearm. The click of the gun reloading fills the alleyway.

"So... was John as much of a dick to me to you?" I question. I hungered for the truth and wondered how different or how better their life was... is compared to mine.

"Yeah" Sam sighs confirming my deserved question.

"Hey!" Dean reprimands his brother taking offensive to his response.

Through the brothers manner and interactions with each other regarding their father. Dean was loyal towards him, obeying his commands as he dismissed Sam's remark. However, Sam was disconnected on his own agenda, resilient against Dean's perspective.

"Dean" Sam sighs turning to his other sibling, he exclaimed it in a way that  was insinuating Dean was not admitting the truth. If it were true or not I wouldn't know better.

The fixated gun was loosely held in place now and was aiming at me rather than shadowing my every move.

Sam once agin lets out another sign and shifts his laptop and information into more a comfortable position. His eyes meet mine and his brows are furrowed and confusion starts to weld in his expression.

"Your mother?" Sam interrogates, his pace steady and tone calm. "You said your mother was killed by a demon"

"Yep" I stammer, when I finished a light went off in Sam's eyes. A glimpse of hope.

I could see Sam struggling with this information as more of it started to pile up. And the trying to piece together sentences became harder.

"Are we talking bout the same person?" Dean slyly cuts in "I mean mum died when Sammy was only a couple of months old, how the hell do you fit in?"
He shifts his gun scanning me up and down.

My eyes fall to the ground. I release a sigh and lick my chapped lips.

I started explaining,  as the boys stared back in awe and confusion. The gun stayed out, but slowly crept by Dean's side.

I told them about our mother and the night. I told them about our father and his disconnection with his daughter and how he's gone M.I.A. longer than usual. I told them about the little known information about the demon.

"Dad knew."

Dean gaze follows to his brother and back to me.

Silence.

Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours. We stood in the alleyway silent. Cars zoomed past on the road, people chatted past on the footpath and the constant opening closing of the diner door traveled to where we were. Graffiti covered the walls and rubbish scattered the floor.

Surroundings became more noticeable as we were briefly separated from our conversation.

I let out a well deserved sigh and crept my fingers through my hair, fixing it to the side.

Dean finally lifts up his leather jacket and slid his weapon behind, into his jeans. Bout time. Sam continued to readjust his papers and laptop every few minutes.

"So... what now" once again letting another sigh go.

"We find John" Dean spoke fixing his collar, keeping it up at the back and folding down at the front. "And hunt down the son of a bitch that killed our mother." With that Dean grabbed keys from inside his pocket and existed the allay way, making his way towards the car.

"Your brother... kind of intense" I exclaim to Sam as we too follow out.

"Our" Sam corrected.

"Family never ends in blood and nor does it start" I state, voicing my thoughts from before.

Sam nods at the statement due to the truth of it in these circumstances.

We split off to enter from opposite sides of the car. Sam opens the car door and places his belongings inside.

I hesitate before wrapping my hands around the handle.

"You alright?" Sam asks.

But before I could even answer Sam continued "you know you don't have to do this if you don't feel comfortable." He paused. Once again he opened his mouth however, I cut in.

"I'm just confused what to do with my car" I say, raising my arm and pointing behind me. "I mean if we're gonna work together."

"Oh..." Sam signs with embarrassment, and rubs his neck with his hand.

I release my grip and my hand slips away from the handle. I peer inside the window as Dean fiddles with cassette tapes, not really paying attention to the events outside his car.

"You've got Dean's number, ring when you're ready." Sam's voice responds.

I give him a reassuring nod and walk away from Dean's car, towards my own.

I jump into my vehicle and slid the keys in. The car's engine purrs as I start the car and make my way to my hotel room.

___________________________

Puzzled I lay on the discoloured yellow bed staring into the ceiling pondering my thoughts. I sit up and run my fingers through my hair, bringing it back behind my ears. I shove my hand in my pocket and wrap my fingers around my phone hesitating to pull it out and call.

___________________________

A/N: How do you like it so far? Please tell me what you like or don't like so I can improve the story as well as my writing.

And I would like to apologise for long updates as I am juggling school as well as other commitments.