Chapter 12

We walked into the pizzeria in a slight awkward silence. We were seated, and ordered, and we sat in silence for a while. "So, how did you get your job?" Aaron asked.

"Ug! Talking about work, outside of work!" I complained in a joking manner. He laughed lightly.

"No seriously, though."

"I guess it all started with that television show we watched together, Grimm."

"You seriously became a detective because of that?" He laughed louder.

"No!" I snapped. "Well a little, but not really. I wanted a job that I could help people, or figure things out, hunt down people."

"Yeah by the way how did the whole hunt go?"

"Bloody," I sighed. "Let me tell you, that Zane, he's a runner if he wants to be." I shook my head, and took a drink of my water.

"Really? Zane, could actually run? You see I've known him for quite a while now, and I don't think I've ever seen him run unless it's for like... My Little Horsie action figures," Aaron shook his head. My eyes widened.

"Who would have thought the murder would have been a, My Little Horsie, emo, fan?" I smiled.

"Yeah... so you handle those cases a lot?"

"Homicide? Yes all the time, it's actually just like Grimm," I teased.

"Really, you have a blutbot help you track down scents?"

"No, we have Officer Borne do that, he's a werewolf." I nodded.

"Makes sense." Aaron shrugged.

"So, what's it like being a chef?" I smirked.

"Boring. Making food, listening to people complain about it "not being good enough", it doesn't pay that bad though."

"Yeah, well at least you make enough money."

"What does that mean?"

"Being a Detective isn't the most high paying job you could ever get to put it in simplified terms. It's not glamorous, living in mansions or anything like that, it's just simple living, with a small advantage." I shrugged.

"What kind of advantage?"

"Seeing dead bodies?" I asked.

"That's more like a nightmare." Aaron countered.

"Not when you see almost thirty a year," I nodded.

"Thirty?"

"Some cases take longer than you'd like them to."

"Right, right. So you're partner, Fallen, right?"

"Yes. Right now she's working with... uh, some other police officer his name is just passing my mind right now, and I don't know why," I shook my head.

"Excuse me?" I looked up at a young girl with an angry face while she had two friends behind her.

"Uh, can I help you?" I asked, confused.

"Are you Detective (L/N)?" I glanced at Aaron and he shrugged.

"Uh, yeah can I uh, help you?" I asked.

"You arrested my father." She growled. My eyes widened.

"Oh..." I looked at Aaron who shrunk back in his seat.

"Yeah, do you remember Clo Roen?" She snapped.

"...Yes... look I'm not a cop right now-"

"You're always a cop, and what you did to my family is unforgivable-"

"Look I arrested your father for a perfectly valid reason, he killed three people and was smuggling illegal drugs!" I whispered, angrily.

"That's a crime how?" She snapped, slamming her hand on the table.

"Look I know you're angry, but you need to control yourself, I'm not on duty now so any act of violence can be reported to assault."

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes, and stomped off like she owned the world. I sighed, and sunk down in my seat.

"People are so naive, and like... dumb." I grumbled. Aaron just let out a small laugh, and shook his head. "What!?"

"Look who's talking-"

"Well, excuse me-"

"Eh... sorry."

"Yeah, that's right."

After the date Aaron drove me back home, and we both stood at the door hesitantly. I laughed at out awkward silence. "I feel like we should be like saying something, but uh... do you want to come in?"

"That would be great," he sighed in relief. I lead him inside, and I ran upstairs and got changed into some pajamas, and walked back down and flopped down on the couch next to Aaron, and snuggled up next to him.

"I love you." I sighed.

"I love you, too." He whispered. I smiled, and he pulled me into his chest,and we sat there for forever, at least that's what it felt like.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Yes."

"I killed Zane..."

"...I don't care, he killed our best friend... which also reminds me. Aphmau's funeral is in a few days. Katelyn insisted that you come too. You were her friend in high school after all, the one who avenged her... wait... did you ever figure out why he killed her?"

"He had a thirst to kill like this disorder, I forget what it's called, but I'm sure there's more to it... I swear in high school at one point he told me he was gay... maybe he was jealous?"

"You mean, you think Zane liked... me?"

"I mean who wouldn't?" I tried to cover my snicker.

"Wow, you're being really mature about this."

"Always, but in all seriousness, he may have even told Aphmau, and she just... didn't care or something."

"I mean that might explain his constant need to be in our house, aside from Aph being his only friend."

"Yeah... he hasn't change much since high school, huh?"

"Well, what did you expect."

"I guess most of us haven't changed... I'm glad I found you guys."

"I'm glad you found us too... how's your mom?"

"..." I felt tears threaten to spill. I curled up, and stayed silent.

"Sorry... I understand, I don't like to talk about mine either."

"You deserve to know," I sighed. "After all she treated you like her own son for the short time you knew her."

"...You don't have to-"

"But I will! Aaron... she committed suicide almost two years ago. I don't know where they buried her, so I can't visit her either."

"Why don't you know where she was buried?"

"I didn't even go to her funeral." I felt tears run down my cheeks. "I hate myself for not going."

"I'm sorry..." he kissed the top of my head.