'So we could pack up our things and get moving towards the water, there has to be a dock somewhere near-ish'.

'I don't think they'll let us just grab a boat and go'.

'No, but we can try' Keith interjected, 'Joel will be on his way on a boat too, no-one would let him stay here, they couldn't, not a child'.

'Let's hope so'.

'Someone should check on Percy' I said after a pause moving towards the small yellow bag which now had only one or two chocolate bars left, even after we'd rationed ourselves and gone hungry most of the time.

'I'll do it' Keith said, grabbing a faded white shirt and running a hand through his hair, 'I think he lost someone'.

'Hey, Keith?' Lucas called before Keith could make his way up the stairs.

'Yeah?'

'Who were you ringing?'

'Oh' Keith dragged a hand through his hair again, catching my eye but only holding it for a second, 'Nobody. I'll check on Percy'. With that, he turned around and took the stairs two at a time, leaving Lucas and I looking towards one another in confusion.

'Didn't he say his parents were away somewhere?'

'Yeah, Spain' I replied, 'His sister too, they were only going for a couple of weeks but obviously they can't come back now'.

'How do you know all that?'

'We talk a lot. When we weren't fighting monsters, or running round neighbourhoods we just talked', I smiled at Lucas' obvious surprise,  'On the way up here, with Mum and Dad, you and Joel fell asleep. Keith told me about his parents, told me about his house. I told him about stupid things, like walking Joel to school and that time I fell in the fish pond and you laughed so hard that you fell in too. It almost made this all seem normal'.

'I didn't know' Lucas smiled.

'Didn't know what?'

'I didn't know you cared so much'.

'I don't' I muttered, looking to the floor, 'I just remember things'.

'Give it a rest' he sighed, 'I was joking around when I told Dad about you having a man friend but now I wonder if I might have opened a can of fish'.

'It's a can of worms, you idiot' I snorted with laughter, only creasing up more at the glare he was giving me.

'Tomato, tomato' he muttered, flicking me on the head, 'What would Mum say, eh?'

Immediately my laughter cut short.

'I'm sorry' Lucas' eyes widened and he dropped his head in his hands with a groan, 'This won't be easy, will it?'

'No' I whispered, 'No, it won't'.

A crash sounded from upstairs and the shouts made me leap from my seat in surprise. Bile rose in my throat at a sound I thought I might never hear again. Groans, screeches. They weren't outside the building, I almost swore the noises were coming from inside.

'Go, go!' Keith yelled as he jumped down the stairs three at a time with Percy stumbling in front of him.

'Inside?' I asked, already grabbing up all the bags in my sight.

'Inside' Keith glanced back up the stairs, 'There's a window, I don't know how. I jammed it, should buy us some time'.

'Not much' Lucas muttered, taking one of the sports bags from me, 'Front doors are clear, make a run for it?'