Oliver tried to tell me they'd never get rid of me. I know he's just trying to make me feel better, but he didn't have to. I wasn't hurt...

"Lucas, do you wanna go to the mall? I got paid today." Danny, one of my dads, asked as he tugged his windbreaker on, standing in the archway to the living room. I was sitting on the sofa with the Hamlet book I bought with Oliver about a month ago when he came in. I just looked up and shook my head. He looked a little hurt, but I didn't know what to say, so I settled for nothing and looked down at my book.

"Are you sure? I heard the book store is having a sale." He offered. Man, why didn't he ask Devin to go with him or Oliver? What sort of company was I? I glanced at him and he bit his lower lip, looking at me hopefully. I finally nodded and set my book down.

Might as well throw him a bone.

He looked relieved, smiling as he went to let Devin know we were leaving. I had just gotten my shoes on when the doorbell rang and I went to answer it since I was the closest. Besides, I already knew who it was.

"Hey, Lucas." Nick Cooper greeted me with one of his typical big brother smiles. I have no idea why he smiled at me like that. His only interest was Oliver. He was always dropping by to lavish Oliver with love and attention. I was curious about all that because I'd never felt love before and I wanted to see what it was really like.

I had even walked in on them, uh, doing things before. It was awkward, but I was still curious. It looked painful, so why even bother? Why would you ever want someone touching you everywhere like that? And stretching you until you felt like you were going to tear into pieces?

I just nodded at Nick and stepped aside to let him in. He glanced around the house for a second before breathing in the smell of Devin's cooking.

"Nice in here." He commented. He always said the most random and unnecessary things, but I didn't mind. Nick was okay and he was nice to Oliver, so that was cool. Oliver was one of the few people I could tolerate long enough without going nuts.

"How's Ethan?" I heard myself ask. Nick blinked, giving me a surprised look. He always did whenever I said anything. He let my words sink in and grimaced.

"Still in the slammer... I haven't talked to him in a week, but last time we spoke, he said he might get out earlier for good behavior. You miss him or something?" He asked. I shook my head. Nick shrugged and went upstairs to meet up with Oliver, who'd holed himself up in his room all day writing his stories.

Danny came back and we were heading out to the car.

Then came a really awkward long silence on the drive to the mall. I just curled my knees up to my chest as the heater warmed the car, my eyes staring straight ahead. I knew Danny wanted to say something, but was hesitant. He knew I wouldn't respond with no more than a gesture.

It's not like I did it to be rude.

I just didn't like hearing my voice or speaking when I really didn't need to.

"So, Halloween's coming up. Are you going to go with your cousins to the dance at school?" Danny asked casually, his blue eyes watching the road. He did it on purpose so I would talk, but I shook my head and he saw it out the corner of his eye, sighing.

"Why not? It'd be nice to get to know some of your classmates. Your teachers said you don't hang out with anyone or even eat lunch. If you don't like the food there, I can pack you something, you know."

I shook my head and looked out the window. I saw Danny's grip tighten on the wheel for a split second before loosening. He didn't say anything after that. We just drove in silence until he pulled into the parking lot at the mall. Seeing at it was Saturday, the mall was crowded and I didn't like the idea, but knowing that the book store would be clear was fine with me.