Chapter 10 - Wreckage

I was debating spending the rest of the night downstairs, in a vain attempt to avoid an uncomfortable confrontation. I had already gathered together some of the cushions and fabrics in the back into a makeshift bed-nest thing. I was debating whether I could convince someone to bring my pajamas down, or if I would be content with sleeping in my borrowed clothes for the night and dealing with Alison's complaints about wrinkles later, when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind me. 

"You don't listen very well, do you, Emily?" I heard a voice whisper in my ear, smelling of rot and roses. "I told you what I would do if I caught you kissing him again, didn't I?" 

"I-" I sucked in a sharp breath as I felt his hand slip under the hem of my shirt, his cold hand making contact with my bare hip. 

"Or is it your memory that's the problem?" He continued, his hand slipping higher as he spoke. I felt like his touch was freezing me, turning me into an ice sculpture, and I couldn't move. 

"Well?" 

"I...S-Stop." I was unfrozen, grabbing his hand to stop it from going any higher. "Please." 

"Stop what?" His face was so close to mine that I could feel his lips curl up into a smirk, even though I couldn't see him. 

"Just... Let me go. Please." It was impossible to think with him so close, especially since he kept moving around behind me. All I could think about was his body pressed up against me. 

"No." 

"'N-No'?" I was fighting to keep my hold on his arm while simultaneously trying to remove myself from his embrace, and I was losing. 

"You need to be reminded of the fact that you don't belong to him." Now there was anger in his voice, and his grip on me tightened. 

"I don't belong to you either," I hissed. "I don't belong to anyone." 

"That changed the instant you turned sixteen, and you know it." 

"Shut up." I managed to move away from him, but only as far as my arm would allow. His hand was still caged around my wrist. "That's not true."

"Yes, it is. Life will get a lot easier for you once you stop fighting it, Emily." 

"I will keep fighting it. It's not up to you to decide who I kiss, and we didn't even kiss when we were here! My mom stopped that, unless you conveniently decided to ignore that part." 

He yanked on my wrist, and then suddenly I was pressed up against his chest again with his free hand grabbing my chin roughly. 

"And who do you think made your mom go downstairs to interrupt that little exchange, hm?" His voice was low, anger built into every aspect of his tone. I could feel the tension running through his muscles as he held me. 

"You... You didn't." 

"I can and I did. Now, I'll ask you again: Do you remember what I said I would do if I caught you kissing him again?" 

"But I didn't-" The hand clutching my chin tightened its grip, cutting off my words. 

"Answer my question, Emily. My patience is wearing thin." 

"Yes." I said it so quietly that I wasn't even sure if it was possible for him to hear me, but then I felt the pressure on my chin release. I stepped back, rubbing my chin while keeping my gaze on the floor.

"Good girl. That wasn't so hard, now was it?" 

I chose to say nothing. He sighed at me. 

"You'll learn eventually. Even though it might take a couple of hard earned lessons first."