Chapter 33 - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA / 1975 / Part 8

November 1975

POV Roger

Beginning of November. The boys and I took pictures in the first week of the month in a photo studio for the release of the band's new album. Mick Rock was our photographer. EMI spent millions with the guys and I because we recorded the album in six different studios. We have to make a success with this album, a resounding, worldwide success, otherwise it will be our downfall.

"If we do not make a success with the new album, we'll have a big cash debt to EMI for the rest of our lives. We can decree the end of the band and our careers as musicians, "Bri said in a bar after a day's shoot. "Then I'll have to go back to PHD in Astrophysics and look for jobs in Astronomy."

"I confess I'm very worried," he said, lighting a cigarette. "I've already told Bella that if this album does not work out, I'll give up the musician's career." I'll go back to studying, taking a Masters in Biology, and getting a job as a biologist - I grimaced at the end.

"We must hope, my dear, that this time we will succeed. We worked hard on this album, "Freddie said, taking his beer.

- We have to hope for it, but if unfortunately nothing works out I will have to follow the profession of Electronic Engineer and resume my Master's degree and now I have more expenses because I have a child to raise. Commented Deacy.

In a week we took the photos for the release of the album and was also made the cover of the album A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. In a few days, the boys and I will be on the road doing shows. In the second week of November, the boys and I recorded the Bohemian Rhapsody music video. We put a lot of money into this song to make it successful.

Before we boarded, on day fourteen, to Liverpool, for two nights of the show, Veronica and Deacy went to Bella's apartment on Saturday. I was at the apartment too. Robert is almost four months old. It's getting smarter every day. Veronica and Deacy smiled at each other and Bella and I did not understand.

"We're here because we have to make an invitation to the two of them and I hope they will," Veronica smiled.

- Invitation? What invitation? "Bella asked.

I was hugging my girlfriend and also did not understand what that invitation would be.

"We want Rog and you, dear Bella, to be godfathers to our son, Robert," Deacy commented, smiling. "You're very dear to Veronica and I, they show how much they love our son, the care you have for him. They are the ideal people. Rog is my friend, my bandmate, and now I really want to be the best man of my son.

I smiled openly and my eyes filled with tears.

"Of course I accept being the godfather of little Robert," I said, smiling excitedly. "I do not know how to thank you for that invitation. I'm very happy, really. My dear friends, thank you.

I hugged Deacy and Veronica excitedly and caught Robert in his arms. Then it was Bella who hugged Veronica and Deacy excited as well and said she accepted to be Robert's godmother.

Bella had prepared us dinner. We chatting about the band's album, the shows, Bella talking about her work and study and Veronica commenting about caring for Robert, that he's a good boy, who has not given much work for her during the nights.

Before the album was released on November 14, Freddie, Deacy, Bri and I played two nights in a row at the Liverpool Empire in Liverpool. On the stage were more lights, more flames of magnesium and dry ice. My drum kit was added by a giant gong (like John Bonham from Led Zeppelin) and one of my boxes was full of beers so my drumsticks would slosh on the surface of the liquid during my drums solos. In our support team now, we had the presence of Peter Hince, an ex-roadie from Mott the Hoople. He is assigned to specifically meet Freddie and Deacy. My roadie is called Crystal Taylor.