Chapter 38 - Easily.

Start from the beginning

“How do you feel?” I questioned. I let my fingers tap against his pillow in a random rhythm as he closed his eyes again and breathed heavily several times.

“Numb and dazed. My head just feels weird.”

“That’s the morphine, you’ll get used to it.”

There was no time for Harry to have his operation until today, three days after he was shot because it wasn’t an emergency. They placed a dressing over the wound and cleaned it daily but they wouldn’t operate until they had a gap. I thought the whole prospect was ludicrous, he had been shot but in their eyes it wasn’t a big enough deal to call in the theatre staff. 

My situation however was different. I had an operation on my head as soon as we got there, there was no damage to the brain but my skull was fractured and the skin sewn back together. My legs needed extra care, they had to call in a plastic surgeon who ended up doing a skin graft on one of my legs because the burns were so extensive. They were all wrapped up in bandages, I had seen the damage but the dressings’, as hideous as they were, were much nicer to look at than my actual legs.

We weren’t kept on the same ward, we weren’t even in the same area of the hospital. Harry always made the effort to come to my room since he had nothing better to do. He’d always get kicked out though, the nurses claiming I needed my rest. He would often grunt, kick up a fuss but leave nevertheless.

“How’s the head?” He asked me quietly, looking genuinely concerned as his fingers ran along the palm of my hand.

“Still attached.” I jested but he replied with a deadpanned expression and a tut. “It’s fine, still get the headaches and dizziness but the morphine’s helping. The nurses said the headaches could last weeks.”

“Don’t they have anything stronger to give you?”

“I’m fine Harry, I may not be able to run a marathon just yet but I’m better than I could’ve hoped.”

“I’m pretty sure if everyone was like you we’d be walking on pink tiled roads, eating cinnamon cupcakes and singing cheesy songs all day, every day.”

“I’m optimistic not eccentric.”

“I do often question your sanity.”

“When I’m around you I think it needs questioning.”

“That’s the sweetest thing you’ve ever said,” he replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes for dramatic effect.

“Fuck off.” I laughed heartedly before letting out a loud yawn and stretching my arms way above my head.

We settled into a comfortable silence after that. I could hear the hustle and bustle of the hospital staff and patients embarking on their trips down the corridors outside. Harry was still a little dazed and tired and remained lying down, his eyes would open every so often to see if I was still there. I closed my eyes eventually too, the silence was comforting much like the company, it felt oddly warm and welcoming. 

The door swung open however causing the both of us to spring our eyes wide open from the shock. I relaxed back down into the seat when I realised it was just the doctor coming in. Every time the door opened to my room I had vivid images of it being Sykes strolling through the door, armed and ready to kill despite him being the dead one. 

“Ah, you’re awake,” the doctor spoke looking at Harry and then raising his eyebrows at me. “And I see you have a guest.”

“It’s fine, I know her.” Harry muttered back unpleasantly.