Morning Has Broken

It was a hot and humid afternoon, a typical day in the island. The sun was at its highest peak when Denise woke up.

"What time is it?..." she yawned, massaging her sweaty forehead.

The hugry chef sighed and groggily headed down to the living room where her guest spent the night.

Denise remembers it all. It's been a rough night for the both of them.

A warm glow emanated across the chef's face when she saw the empty couch.

Sana umuwi na siya.. sana nga!

Denise smiled at the thought. She finally realized how peaceful it was before last night's accident. 

She sat down, savoring the quietness. Her lips automatically curved upwards when she didn't see a trace of Cha anywhere. She stretches her legs for comfort.  

"Something's different," she thought, sliding her feet on the floor.

The mahogany has been waxed. She could feel the smooth surface against her bare feet. She took a deep breath. 

"Wait a minute," she thought.

The room is clean. From the Capiz windows to the glass center piece. Even the crystal chandelier glimmered in the sunlight. 

Denise' brows furrowed. A noxious odor is coming from the grandfather's clock.

"Varnish?"

It was quite fresh and the smell was unmistakably intoxicating. She leaned closer to sniff the transparent coating.

"Good morning, Chef! Heaven ba?" greeted Cha, grinning from ear to ear.

Denise jerked away from the clock. Her face was too red she had to avert her gaze from Cha's teasing eyes.

"Just checking if it's the right shade. Antique kasi 'to and you want to preserve the wood's natural look."

Cha laughed at her reply.

"Ako pa ba? Tama yan! Isa pa, yan lang ang barnis sa bodega kaya wag ka na maarte."

"Teka, pano ka nakapasok sa bodega?"

"Oo nga pala, maluwag na yung knob. Alam mo mag-iingat ka Denise, pwede mapasok 'tong bahay mo. Pero takot lang nila, tumitira kaya ng barnis yung tao dito," laughed Cha.

Denise blushed a deeper shade of pink.

"Wag ka mag-alala hindi naman kita ichi-tsismis," added Cha, looking fresh in clean clothes.

Denise wonders where Cha got them from. Certainly not from her wardrobe. Plaid and khaki were not her thing.     

"Siya nga pala, may itlog sa mesa. Pasensya ka na, walang ibang laman ang ref mo eh," said Cha.

Denise's stomach grumbled. She almost forgot how hungry she was.

"Ikaw ba, kumain na?" she asked.

"Busog pa ko sa got-"

"Got?.."

"Ah basta, mag-agahan ka na. Madami pa tayong gagawin. Tapos na ko kumain."

The chef made coffee while Cha watched the steam rise from the cup. Denise took a sip and faced her companion.

"Stop it."

"Huh?"

"Staring. It's impolite."

Cha pursed her lips and smiled.