Modern AU P. 3.5

Lilly stalked into Empire House, a thunderous look on her face. Even the other employees scattered from her. Many were confused, seeing as Mr. Ambrose's secretary was usually the happiest of them all. They parted to let her pass. She went to the elevator, punching in the buttons. The man inside scurried out of her way. Lilly rode the elevator in silence, inwardly seething. Finally she reached the last floor. Mr. Stone looked up when he heard her heels click. 

"Hello-" 

"I'm not in the mood." Lilly passed him, his mouth agape. Lilly threw open the door, slamming it shut afterwards. Mr. Ambrose looked up inquisitively at her. He opened his mouth to speak but she quickly interrupted. "You should have told me." 

"Excuse me, but I have absolutely no idea what you're speaking of." Lilly started to pace. 

"You should have told me. What if someone finds out? I'm going to be jailed! For life!" She rounded on him. "I'm not even 23 yet!" 

"Whatever are you talking about?" 

"YOU! You import cargo and weapons illegally all over the world! It's no wonder you're only 26 and already the 2nd richest man! You make it off as though your rich British parents are so sorry for abandoning you and now their giving you money! But I know better! You-" Mr. Ambrose stood, reappearing in front of her, pushing her back against the wall with a hand clasped firmly over her mouth. She glared back at him, trying to bite him. He tightened his grip, squeezing her jaw. 

"How do you know this? Tell me!" 

"Nrgghh!" He released her jaw, stepping back. She glared, massaging her jaw. "Ouch! Couldn't be gentler, could you?" He started toward her again, a murderous glint in his eyes. "Fine! Fine! I became a hacker while I was at school, and I hacked all your accounts. Not very good security, at all." Lilly smirked at the look on his face. 

"You shouldn't have done that," His voice dropped several calibers, sending an icy shiver down her spine. Nevertheless, Lilly straightened her back.

"Why? Are you going to kill me? How do you know I haven't already told someone?" Mr. Ambrose's fists tightened.

"Did you?"

"No of course not. But I can-" Mr. Ambrose rounded on her again, his pinky finger tapping against his thigh. "Unless of course you tell me everything, and I can decide whether or not to tell."

Mr. Ambrose paced, looking as serene as he usually did. The pinky of his was the only sign that he was feeling emotional turmoil. "Fine. Fine. I'll tell you. But after that you have to put up the firewalls around my accounts again, make it so that no one can get in. If you, a self made hacker could get in others can too."

Lilly paused. "Do I get a raise?"

Mr. Ambrose looked at her as if to say, 'Don't push it.'

"All right then."

"Get my correspondence while I'm at it." 

"Sir yes sir!" Lilly stepped out of his office, back into Mr. Stone's lobby. "Mr. Stone, I'm so, so sorry for earlier, I have no idea what I was thinking." Mr. Stone grimaced. 

"It's alright," Then, quieter, he continued. "It's him isn't? He's done something?" 

"Who?" Lilly cocked her head at him. Mr. Stone looked strangely back at her. 

"Your boyfriend." 

Lilly started in surprise. Then she started to laugh. Her bubbly giddiness echoed in the hall. "What... What are you talking about... Boyfriend?! Gahahhaaha...." 

"Wait," Mr. Stone swiveled in his chair to look at the woman who was practically rowling (Geddit? ;D) on the floor laughing. "You don't have a boyfriend?" 

"No... I'm... single... What... Why? I'm a feminist as well." Seeing the astounded look on Mr. Stone's face, she laughed once more. "It's alright, nobody really expects it. By the way, where are his letters?" 

"Here," Mr. Stone handed her the bundle and she took it back to the office where Mr. Ambrose was waiting impatiently. 

"Ms. Linton, I do not pay you to laugh with my Assistants."

"Sorry sir," She apologized, handing him the envelopes. She discarded the rest of the junk mail, party invitations and charity notices. A light brown parchment envelope caught her eyes. Scrawled across the top was a name in beautiful script to rival that of Mr. Ambrose's. She gasped.

Daniel Eugene Dalgliesh

Mr. Ambrose looked up from the note he was reading. He saw his secretary staring intently at a familiar brown envelope. He snatched it quickly from her hand. "This is no business of yours."

"But- but Sir! How do you know him?" He narrowed his uniquely colored eyes at her.

"What do you mean Ms. Linton?"

"I mean," She empathized slowly. "How do you know Dan?" He stiffened, glaring at her.

"Dan?"

"Yes, Dan, my best friend from high school."

I'm sorry! This is really very short! But I just want to get your feedback on this. Should I do Lord D as Lilly's best friend from high school or follow Rob Thier's plot? I will leave this up to you readers! Comment here to vote for it.

Bestie Dan, Manang15

Lord Dalgliesh, Rob Thier

P.S.

Thank you for all the comments I received! They were all super helpful! And I've got more confidence, so I'll be sure to keep writing! I'm working on your requests as well!