Chapter 37

Continuing on....lol

Chapter 37

          My health had improved slightly but at least it was something. My symptoms weren’t as bad, but still noticeable. I somehow managed to convince Gaara to let me continue although that battle lasted most of the night until Temari shouted at us to keep it down and just let me compete with everyone else.

          *Short Flashback*

          “Fine.” Gaara muttered under his breath.

          “What?” I said confused, I thought for sure Gaara wouldn’t budge on his decision.

          “I’ll let you participate, but if I see you need to stop, I won’t hesitate to stop you and kill the person hurting you…” Gaara said.

“Um, okay, thank you sweetheart.” I whispered quietly as I hugged him. He hugged back and pecked my forehead.

“I just don’t want you hurt.” He said pulling me into him.

“She’s going to participate, so go to sleep!” Kankuro said.

We held back laughter and told each other goodnight.

*Flashback End*

I felt slightly dizzy, but I still brushed it off. I know it’s stupid, but I want to participate so badly.

I looked up and realized everyone was there already.

“First of all, congratulations on finishing the second exam!” Anko said.

I looked around and saw some groups talking among themselves. ‘Naruto passed?’ I thought. ‘All of the leaf rookies passed for that matter…so many people are left…and there were so many to begin with…’ I thought.

“All right, now pay attention! Lord Hokage is going to explain the third exam to you! You better listen carefully maggots!” Anko shouted. “Lord Hokage, they’re all yours.” She said normally.

He stepped forward and cleared his throat. “First, before I tell you what the third exam entails, I want to explain something about the test itself. Listen closely now, it’s something all of you need to understand. I’m going to tell you the true purpose of these exams.” He said.

‘Huh?’ I thought.

“Why do you suppose out country holds these exams in conjunction with our allies? To raise the ability levels of the shinobi and increase friendship between allied nations to be sure, but it’s important that you understand it’s true meaning. The exams are, so to speak…” He paused.

‘What? What are they truly for?’ I thought.

“They are representation of the battle between allied nations.” He finished.

‘Like in the shinobi war?’ I thought.

“Now look at our history. All the countries that we’re currently allied with, were once neighboring nations that continuously fought with each other for power. In order to avoid destroying each other’s military strength meaninglessly……” I zoned out as he explained the rest about shinobi pride and power.

I found it ridiculous to risk my life as he explained showing military strength. He explained how a shinobi’s strength is truly exposed in a life and death battle.

‘I’m not going to risk my life to show my true abilities!’ I thought.

He kept on going and I was getting agitated by the minute.

“Any test is fine, just tell me what the details of the exam are already, I can handle anything you throw at me.” Gaara said.

‘Seriously! Damn, he wants to fight someone already…’ I face-palmed.

“Hm, very well then. Now listen closely, I’m going to tell you, what you’ll all be doing on the third exam. *hiccup*” He was stopped by a chunin landing in front of him.

“Lord Hokage, before you do, please allow me, Hayate Gekko, appointed as proctor of the third exam, to speak first.” He said.

“So be it.” He replied.

“It’s nice to meet you all.” He said standing up coughing. “There’s something I would like all of you *cough* to do before the third exam.” He said and immediately started coughing.

‘Poor thing…is he going to be all right? And I thought I was in bad shape.’ I thought.

“Uh…we have to have a preliminary exam before we can move onto the real one.” He said.

‘What?!’ I thought.

Gaara saw my tensing and held my hand comfortingly.

I heard complaints from the other candidates. Hayate explained that they needed to ‘speed things up a bit’. I twitched as he said they didn’t want to waste any officials’ time. He said that if anyone isn’t in top physical condition, that they have the option to back down. Gaara looked at me and I shook my head in anger.

No…” I whispered.

“Alright.” He replied back. He let go of my hand and looked up.

Nobody left and I felt someone staring at me. I looked back and saw Sasuke gripping Sakura’s wrist and they seemed to be arguing. She seemed to be pleading with him. All I could make out was ‘What are you trying to prove?’ and he started back at me.

Naruto butted in and I looked away.

“Alright then, we’ll begin with the preliminary round.” Hayate said. “This round will consist of one-on-one individual combat at full battle intensity. This is not an exercise. There are 22 of you remaining, so we’ll have 11 matches. The surviving candidates from these 11 matches will advance to the third exam. As for the rules, there are none. You will fight until one dies or conceit defeat or rendered physically incapable of continuing the contest. Naturally, those who are losing are urged to conceit defeat promptly to avoid a fatal outcome. Furthermore, as proctor, I’m given a certain amount of leeway in judging the matches. I might occasionally intervene if a match seems hopeless to save as many lives as possible. Now it’s time to reveal what fate has been chosen for you.” He said looking at Anko. Anko said something in her headset and these doors opened to reveal a screen.

Hayate explained how the names will be chosen at random before each match.

“As there is more to say, let’s begin. In a moment, the names of the first two opponents will appear.” Hayate said.

I looked up anxiously at the screen that would decide my fate. The first match would be Sasuke and this guy named Yoroi.

‘He’s going already?’ I thought. ‘Well I guess it’s time to see what makes him think he’s so special. He may be an Uchiha, but let’s see if he can live up to his reputation…’ I thought curiously.