|ten|

Lift me up like my knight and shining armor, or like my demons coming for me; just don't drop me

"What is Esther even doing alive? Didn't Klaus rip her heart out or something? Shouldn't she be a bag of bones?" I asked as we sat in Elena's dining room. So, recently, Esther was the one in the magical coffin that Klaus wanted so badly.

"I don't know. I'm guessing she has a couple of connections in the witching community." I snorted at Elena's words, "Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus."

"Is that a joke?" I chuckled, swinging my legs back and forth as I sat on the counter. I look at the Salvatore brothers and see they both have brooding faces that are filled with disappointment.

"She was supposed to be the weapon to kill Klaus." Stefan huffed angrily.

"Yeah, well, not anymore." Elena responded, "At least, not according to Elijah."

"I really thought that coffin would be like some big master plan to blow up all originals." I pouted, stepping in.

"That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds."

"And now, we're going to be chopped up into bits instead." I chimed in, but Damon glared my way.

"Anyone else feeling a bit used right now?" He asked and I raised my hand high. I chose to ignore that everyone blamed my sister for the deaths around her and the attempted death on Ric, and focus on how the whole original family is in Mystic Falls once more.

"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us. I believe him." She stated and I fake a cough.

"Um, did he happen to used the words; I give you my word. If so, that means there is some sketchy things going on." I shrug, before someone knocks at the door. Elena looks at all of us, before walking towards the door, with of course, dumb and dumber trailing along.

I hop off the counter and follow behind and see Elena pick up an envelope. It had her name written on it in nice script as she opened it.

"What is it?" I asked, walking up to her.

"An invitation." She said before reading off the card, "'Please join the Mikaelson family this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails, and celebration.'"

"Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?" Stefan asked, confused as the rest of us.

"The original family."

"It's not bad enough they're moving into town. Now they want a housewarming gift?" Damon retorted as Elena flipped the card over.

"There's a note on the back; 'Elena, I think it's time we finally meet. Esther'."

I put my car in park, sighing as I get out when I see Klaus at my doorstep. "It's like you enjoy my misery."

"No, not really. I just enjoy how cute you look when you're frustrated, sweetheart." He smirked, but I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want, Klaus?" I asked, not really caring at this point.

"I've come barring gifts." He held out a creme invitation with my name on it, "To my family's ball this evening."

"I don't have a dress, so thanks, but no thanks." I tried to walk past him, but he stood in front of me once more.