Chapter 10: Saying Goodbye

Stars filled every inch of the sky. Traces of icy snow lingered on the ground. The Chocolate Factory for once was silent, retired for the night. Willy and I walked arm in arm on the factory's grounds, enjoying each other's presence. Tonight was our last night together, but I was trying hard not to think of that.

Willy and I sat down on a cold metal bench, so I snuggled closer to him. I knew that I would have to say goodbye. And it hurt. I clung to his arm, feeling the need to keep him here with me. "You'll still have to leave," he said suddenly, making me jump a bit. I sighed, knowing he was right. "I don't want to just leave you," I whispered. He put an arm around me. "I know." Tomorrow I would be leaving. I would have to focus on a job, though, and most likely wouldn't be able to see him for awhile.

Cold winds pushed my hair up a bit, and I shivered closer into my companion. Willy didn't say a word. I couldn't imagine a better way to spend our last night together. Suddenly, he turned to face me. "I should say this now, before you leave." I bit my lip. "Say what?" He smiled, and kissed me lightly.

"Vivian, I don't know how much your stay at the Chocolate Factory has changed you, but it has changed me so much. I have loved, regretted, and hoped. Thank you. So much. I know that we are two very different people, so it's not likely I will see you that often. So, I have made the decision to let you go. Go find a good guy, and live a life. I have Charlie; I won't be completely alone. I love you, Vivian." I felt a tear slide down my cheek. No one had ever been that passionate about a goodbye.

I smiled. "Willy, I used to think guys were a total waste of time. I now see that that's stupid. It just meant that I hadn't found the right guy, yet. But I found you. I love you, too. And I agree. I need to let you go. But don't you ever think that I will move on. You are the only one I've ever loved. And, I should say, I love you, and, goodbye." I kissed him. It wasn't sexy, or passionate. It was more like, goodbye, I love you. And that was the last time I saw the amazing chocolateer, the magician and the chocolate wiz. That was the last time I saw the best darn guy who ever lived.

That was the last time I saw Willy Wonka.