Chapter 5: Getting Out

I looked at myself in the mirror. My outfit was comfy, yet kind of attention-grabbing. I wore a white dress with thin black stripes going horizontally. It really just looked like a giant t-shirt. I also wore a pair of white high top Converse. I let my hair down for today, grabbed my phone, and started toward the Conference Room. Charlie was there, but Willy wasn't. "Where's Willy?" I asked. "He called in sick," he replied. "Oh." The disappointment was just too obvious. Charlie smirked, but didn't say anything. I was grateful. "Do you want to take the day off, too?" he suddenly asked. "Huh?" His question had caught me off-guard.

"Do you want to take the day off?" he repeated. Honestly, the idea sounded fantastic, but I told him I couldn't just leave him with all the work. "It's fine. You need to get out. I can tell." I couldn't argue with that, so I thanked him, went to get my purse, and decided I should treat myself to a little shopping.

I found a great street full of stores, and then found a super cool shop that I just loved. I bought a few outfits, but then regretted it as I knew I already had enough. But I made myself forget about it. It was my money. I saw a movie, then went to grab some lunch. As I sat sipping some of the best hot chocolate I had ever tasted, although it didn't compare to Willy's, I noticed a group of girls watching me from the other side of the store. I got kind of freaked out, but then calmed myself down. I did, however, get a little weirded out when they got up and started to walk towards me.

Two were blonde, and the other had black hair. They sat on the other side of the table. "Hey," one of them said. I was super confused, so I just responded with, "Can I help you?" They all giggled. "My name's Kennedy," one of them said; she looked like the leader. "And this is Molly and Anna." She motioned to the others. "Okay, but do I know you?" They all laughed again.

"You probably don't know us, but we certainly know who you are, Vivian Lewis!" I was starting to get freaked out. "You're the one who won Willy Wonka's second contest," she said, telling me how she knew me. I sighed. Of course. I guess it made sense that I was famous, now. "I don't have money, if that's what you want," I told them. Kennedy shook her head.
"Honestly, we just wanna get to know you, that's all." I studied her face, but she didn't look like she was lying. So, they treated me to a full meal, and, showed me around town, some.

Molly drove me back to the Chocolate Factory around 7:30. Before I shut the door, Anna called, "Hey! Tomorrow night, we're having a little get-together at my boyfriend's house. Come if you can. Here's the address." She handed me a piece of paper with an unknown street on it. Then, they fishtailed off.

I entered the Factory, planning to ask Charlie if he wanted to come with me. After all, if I was going to be staying here, I should make some friends. I couldn't find Charlie, but I spotted Willy in a hallway. "Mr. Wonka!" I called. He looked at me, fear flashing in his eyes. He ignored me, and sprinted to the nearest room, and disappeared. I ground my teeth, not wanting to deal with this. Then, an absolutely brilliant idea popped into my head.

I followed him into the room, and when I entered it, I gasped. It looked like it was Candy Land. I knew about the Chocolate Room, but I had never been here. It was absolutely stunning. A massive chocolate river ran through the center. Minty grass smelled delicious. Huge lollipops sprang throughout the room, randomly. I wanted to look around, but I didn't want to mess anything up.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Willy running down near the river's banks.

"Mr. Wonka!" I tried again, but he completely ignored me. But I was in track. I could run. Not that he wasn't fast. For a thirty-year-old guy, he was fast. But I was faster. I chased him down, preparing to yell, when I tripped over a rock, and landed straight on him, we both tumbled forward, and I was on top when we stopped.

My mouth was hanging open, and I was scared to death. What had I done? Willy was my boss, not my friend, or my boyfriend. I blushed at the thought of dating him. His eyes, his funny personality... But wait a second! This wouldn't have happened if he had not been acting like a stuck-up teenager! Willy looked genuinely worried, so I quickly scrambled off of him, and apologized hurriedly.

''I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to! I just needed to talk to you, and I'm really sorry!" Tears started streaming down my cheeks as I realized I had screwed up my chance of staying with him. Wait, what? With him? Who cared about Willy? Was that why I was here? Did I like him? But I couldn't. He didn't like me back, anyways. But why should that matter? He stood up, brushed his coat off, and straightened his top hat. "Why were you following me?" he asked. I decided to be brave.

"Why were you ignoring me?" He looked shocked, like he was surprised I went there. "Well, I, I-" "Exactly!" I interrupted. "How am I supposed to work for you, if you won't even talk to me? Huh?" He didn't speak. He barely breathed. And when he did, he said, "I didn't know how."

I paused. "What do you mean?" I asked. Willy sighed. "Can we talk?" I rolled my eyes. "Sure." He then led me to a candy bench overlooking the chocolate river. "Okay," I said. "Let's talk."