Chapter 2- Fruit Loop Thief

I hop in the passenger side of Mason's jeep as he returns the gas pump to he machine. Slowly but surely, he finally gets into the car. I avoid looking out the windows and slump down in my seat, hiding from more embarrassment. I can feel my face still bright and red.

I should publish a book called, 'Embarassing Yourself 101.'

Mason sat silently for a second and then notices me hiding from the windows. Shaking his head, he decides not to even ask and extends his hand.

"What?" I said examining his huge hand.

"Gum?"

"I forgot..." I trail off realizing that's the only reason I went into the store and hit my palm of my hand to my forehead.

Funny how gum did this all to me.

"I got something else though." I reply trying to make everything better and pick up the box off the floorboard.

"Fruitloops?" Mason questions hiking one eyebrow up and lowering the other.

"Why did you even buy these? And where's my change?" He continues, placing them on the console and turning on the car.

That's when it hits me.

I never even bought them. I just stole a mini box of fruitloops.

Oh my gosh. I am a thief.

Our Jeep is already waiting to turn back into the highway, too late for me to pay for them. I whip my head back while turning completely around in my seat, trying to figure out if I could run in there quick enough.

Too far.

I look back to the station once more as we pulled on to the highway. That's when I saw the owner of the crime scene motorcycle.

The cute brunette.

A grunt leaves my mouth as I turn back around sinking into my seat. And cover my face trying to hide from social reality.

"Are you okay?" Mason asks skeptically while eating the stolen fruit loops.

My eyes meet the horrid box of stolen goods and then Mason's oblivious face.

"Just peachy."

--------

Agony never left my side the whole 7 minute drive to Zaxby's.

"You okay?" Mason asked once again. This was the fifth time he asked.

"Fine."

"No you aren't..."

"Mason," I tried to gain all sensible thoughts, "for the sixth time I am fine."

"At-ti-tude! Cheer up, Em!" His hand grabbed my knee and shook it which made me laugh.

"Okay!" I moaned with a smile plastered across my face.

Turning my face towards Mason as he concentrated on traffic, his bright brown eyes were squinted with his blonde hair falling in his face. His goofy smirk never left his mouth and neither did his upbeat personality. No wonder he was captain of Trinity Academy's swim team.

Memories from when we were younger flooded into my mind from jumping on the trampoline during rain storms to him guiding me through the school my first day of sixth grade. Mason and I were always the closest because we were so much alike. Physically, we barely favored each other; most times we were mistaken as a couple. But mentally, we were twins.

We pulled into the parking lot and without my awareness I jolted up searching for Gage.

"Hungry?" Mason laughed.