02. Let's Party.

4 years later.

''Another beer maybe?''

Emma thought about it for a second. She already had three, and that excluded the many tequila shots she took before drinking beer.

''I should concentrate on water now.'' She respond with difficulty.

Seems like her mouth was starting to be unable to pronounce correctly. She already could feel her heart pulse in her head. This was promising a huge headache the next morning. Well, at least she had a month of vacation to recover.

''So how did your finals go?'' Some random guy asked her. That was the first time she saw him and probably the last, that is, if she could remember his face.

''I'd like to give you an intelligent response, but I doubt that all the alcohol in my body would allow that. So I'll just go for the usual: Meh.'' She shrugged.

He looked at her like she was crazy, looked at his glass like it just turned into gold and then looked back up at her.

'' Mm, okay. Want to dance?''

She never had the chance to answer. Her best friend, the one who took her to this party, Sara, showed up at that moment.

''Jesus Emma. It's only 11 and you're drunk. The finals did hit you, didn't they? Anyway. You remember that friend old friend of mine I talked to you about? He just arrived. Maybe you should wash your face before you meet him. This is just a suggestion, though.''

Just a suggestion, heh?

Emma nodded slowly. Where was the ladies room? She didn't move at all. Sara sighed and grabbed her hand.

'' Come on. You can do this. ''

Sara pushed the door of the bathroom and forced Emma to stand up in front of the sink.

'' Now could you please rinse your face. I'll go get him. Don't move until I come back. Deal? '' she asked with her maternal voice. Gosh Emma hated it when she spoke like that. She felt like when she was five and was punished for whatever stupid reason.

''Deal.''

Sara left, exhausted from Emma's attitude. She stepped out of the room and started to look for her friend in the crowd.

Emma did all she could to properly wash her face. Her hand felt so heavy it took her a lot of time. Her hair was a complete mess, but she didn't really bothered. Then she wondered... what did Sara said when she left?

Was I suppose to join them or wait for her...? Mmh, crap.

Her memory was playing tricks on her and Emma didn't really enjoy it. Was confusion a state or an emotion? Perhaps both. So she opened the door, stepped outside... and hit someone who was standing right on the other side.

'' Oh gosh I'm so sorry!'' She spoke being confused of what happened, even though it probably sounded like ''Ohmygoshimsosorry!'' 

The guy turned around he smiled. 

''No biggie, seriously, I was in the way.''

She smiled as an answer and walked by him. Eventually, she somehow ended up playing beer pong alone against a duo of two guys who had the same chemistry class. The crowd was getting bigger as minutes passed by and cheered very loud, encouraging both parties. After a while, she won the game. Someone raised her up in the air and caught her back.

'' Emma! Emma! Emma! ''

Then she heard it.

'' Emma ? Where the hell are you? ''

''Oh hey, Sara,'' she suddenly calmed down. ''I was just busy making new friends.'' The crowd were pulling her towards the ping pong table to play another round.

'' If you'll excuse me, I have a game to win. '' She excused herself from disappearing, again. When she turned around to see her new competitor, she froze.

He was tall, like real tall. He had those eyes, it was a very light color. Those dirty blond curls entouring his face... wait... she knew him from somewhere. He looked older. He smiled at her and she grinned back at him.

Who cares. I'm going to win this thing and then eat a burger. Hell yeah.

She took a plastic ball in her hand, it felt cold compared to the heath of the room, and dipped it in a glass a water. 

'' You ready to lose? '' He screamed to be heard, still smiling.

What is it with him and smiles?

As an answer, she threw the ball. For a second, it was complete silence. And the ball slowly it slipped into one of the dozen of red cups. She started to hear something that gave her chills: her name, shouted by a hundred of drunk young adult studying in university. They were young, wild and free. For at least a month.

That sure feels good. 

He drank the glass up and pitched the ball. It slightly touched a glass but didn't enter any. From the corner of her eyes, she noticed Sara, arms crossed over her chest and looking at her competitor like he was bait. Then she shouted something Emma barely understood.

'' It's him! That's my friend! ''

Emma didn't even bothered making the links in her head. After fifteen minutes of intense drinking, she finally won. 

'' Emma! Emma! Emma! ''

She suddenly felt really hot, her cheeks were burning and she needed fresh air. She waved at the crowd and head to the veranda. The young woman laid her arms against the marble fence, looking down to the green grass, then up to the beautiful constellations. The cold wind hit her face and calmed her down.

'' That was such a tough game, congrats, you're the first one to beat me. ''

She turned around. He was standing in the door frame. The lights of the party made him a shadow to her eyes. 

'' Well thanks. Want to join? ''

He joined her faster than she expected him to. But then again, his longs legs were only helping.

'' You remind me of someone, ''she confessed. ''But I can't remember when.'' She frowned. '' I really hate it when I feel like my memories are just slowly escaping my mind. ''

'' Maybe you're too drunk to remember anything at this point,'' he stated. ''My name is Tom, by the way.'' He shook her weak hand.

'' Nice to meet you Tom, even though I won't probably remember. I'm Emma. ''

When she woke up the next morning, the only thing she remembered was a fuzzy face, a crowd cheering her name in the background and his name, Tom.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

So heeyy... I don't know if you hate it or like it. Anyway, leave a comment, suggestion and ... you can even vote! Isn't that awesome? It is, it is? Web-five. (Like a high five. But using internet. So... web-five.) Anyway... have a nice day!

Oh and by the way, it gets better in the next chapter. Juuust saying.