- 003 -

friday the thirteenth passes with only a few more stumbles and accidental spillages. it's a few days later when wonwoo sees seungcheol again.

"wonwoo!" seungcheol calls out, jogging to meet up with the younger as he walks to his first class. seungcheol is holding two cups of coffee from their local starbucks™.

"for you," seungcheol holds out one of the cups to wonwoo and smiles.

"why?" was all wonwoo managed to stutter. he takes the cup with shaking hands.

"you spilt your coffee on me a couple days ago, remember?" seungcheol laughs. "what a waste. i thought i'd get you another to make it up."

"y-you didn't have to," wonwoo chuckles nervously.

"truthfully," seungcheol says, leaning in closer, "the barista has a thing for me and gave me an extra for free," he winks.

"o-oh, that's nice," wonwoo stammers. he sips his coffee cautiously. caramel macchiato.

they continue walking in awkward silence, wonwoo desperately wracking his brain for something to talk about. he passes by junhui, and his other friend, soonyoung. seeing who he was walking next to, they give him eerily identical shit-eating grins.

"he's right there. confess already, you idiot," they seem to be saying.

it's almost like his mouth decides to disobey his rational thought in that moment. without thinking, he blurts out, "cheol, i gotta tell you something. it's really important."

seungcheol laughs, and wonwoo's heart picks up at the small gesture. in wonwoo's eyes, nothing else was more beautiful than seungcheol's dorky laugh. it was a laugh that made the worst days better again, the only welcoming sound after a major fuck-up. the only laugh that made him happy amongst all the others that laughed at him rather than with him.

"oh, you actually sound serious. this is a first," seungcheol smiles.

"i am serious," wonwoo takes a deep breath. this is it, he thinks.

"i--"

"hey, seungcheol!" a voice calls from behind, interrupting their moment. wonwoo groans. of course something like this would happen to him. he wasn't even surprised.

"mingyu!" seungcheol turns around, recognising the voice. wonwoo freezes.

"wonwoo," mingyu puts a hand on his shoulder and turns him around. wonwoo doesn't know what to do, so he stares. he never knew how attractive kim mingyu was until he actually stared him in the eyes.

"i ... want to talk to you," mingyu says as he stares at the ground, clearly nervous.

seungcheol gives mingyu a knowing grin and turns to wonwoo. "i'll leave you guys to it," he smirks and walks away, much to wonwoo's disappointment.

wonwoo sighs inwardly as his first love walks away just before he could tell him how he felt. not that he wanted to offend mingyu, but he really wasn't in the mood for whatever mingyu had to say.

"wonwoo, why did you give me that letter if you were just going to deny you gave it to me?" mingyu asks, his voice betraying his hurt.

"it's... a long story," wonwoo sighs, wondering why the universe hated him so much.

"um, but..." mingyu continues, looking at the ground, "whatever you meant by it, i was really happy." he smiles, and wonwoo has to admit that he has a really cute smile. his teeth are a nice shade of white - not artificially white but not too yellow either - and his canines stick out, giving him a puppy-like appearance.

"i've known you for quite a while, but i always felt like you never noticed me," mingyu says shyly. "i've always wanted to get to know you better."

wonwoo was surprised. his friends always told him he had an intimidating aura, which was probably why not many attempted to talk to him. he didn't know mingyu that well, but he knew that the boy was very well liked amongst his classmates. someone like mingyu was the last person wonwoo expected to befriend.

"so... do you want to go out sometime?" mingyu asks, shutting his eyes as if he was afraid of the response.

wonwoo doesn't know how to react. all he wanted to do was confess to choi seungcheol, not be asked out by someone he barely knew. so he does what he does best; he bolts.

"wonwoo!" mingyu calls, but wonwoo has already disappeared around the corner.

watching from down the hallway, junhui and soonyoung shake their heads in disappointment. "of course this would happen to wonwoo," soonyoung sighs.