17 - Seasonal Spirit

Start from the beginning

They played Exploding Snap, Sleeping Lions, a magical version of Pass-The-Parcel (inside was an exploding timer that blew the layers of wrapping off until the prize was revealed), Musical Statues and other wizarding games that Hermione had to be taught. People were eating the vast quantities of food in between the games, chatting with friends and laughing over the decorations. It was very fun.

Ginny attempted to fit eighteen marshmallows into her mouth, surrounded by a small crowd of second years, as Luna chanted encouragement. Dean and Seamus chatted to some people in the year below, offering them advice about revision over the holidays for OWLs - it seemed to mostly revolve around praying - and dared younger students to touch the holly berries. Neville sighed heartily at this, and went to fetch a mop. Generally, there was shy dancing to the music, giggling, and slightly shouted conversations in the quieter corners of the room.

When the two hours had passed - it seemed so fast! - everyone got up to leave. Hermione thanked them, and offered them one last piece of advice.

"Remember that this is the end of a year. Although at times it may have been tough, you have survived each and every one of these 365 days --"

"It was a leap year."

"Thanks, Dean, 366 days. You've done one year, now you just have to live another. It might be hard, but you can do it. I hope you all have a nice break, whether you stay here or go to your other home, and remember to feel proud of yourself for everything you achieved over the last year."

When she had finished speaking everyone applauded her. Hermione blushed and grinned, and thanked everyone again. When they had left, she and the other Prefects cleared up the aftermath.

"We're proud of you too, Hermione." Ginny said. Hermione smiled, and carried on picking up the tinsel.

***

On the last Monday of term the final Quidditch match of the year was played. Whoever won it would play against Slytherin for the House Cup when they came back from the holidays. Hermione was very excited to watch as she knew Ginny was determined to win. The Gryffindor team had been practising as many nights a week as they could, and it all came down to that afternoon.

It was bitterly cold outside - no snow, unfortunately - and Hermione was wrapped up as warm as she could be. Luna came over and sat down with her, and brought Malfoy over too. He smiled at Hermione as he sat down.

"So glad it's Hufflepuff instead of Ravenclaw," Luna said, re-adjusting her scarf, "I hate having to cheer against my house and my friends."

"Wouldn't you rather they were in with a chance of beating everyone else, though?" Malfoy asked. "Third or fourth place is rather disappointing for a years' worth of matches."

"No, we do just fine at everything else," she smiled, "But it would have been lovely to add the Quidditch Cup to our trophy cabinet."

The three of them shuffled around, trying to get warm as they waited fro the match to start. Hermione rubbed her hands together, wrapping the ends of her sleeves over her fingers in a vain attempt at gloves. She looked at Luna, who was practically covered in various knitted garments. Luna was wearing earmuffs, a hat, two snoods and a scarf, a blue jumper and some gloves. It seemed like she shouldn't be able to move, but the few restrictions were that she appeared to have gained a significant amount of weight. Stifling a laugh, Hermione turned back to pitch, where the teams were just arriving.

"Can you see Dean and Seamus?" Luna said, counting the Gryffindors. Hermione looked, and saw that they were missing. She scanned the crowds, and saw them both exiting the changing rooms. Dean's hand rested on Seamus' arm just a little longer than normal, and Seamus blushed and grinned stupidly. Hermione felt a little giggle build inside her. Not enough to make assumptions, but interesting nonetheless...

The call went out for the start of the match, and Ginny shook hands with the Hufflepuff captain. Her jaw was set, and her face was flushed with concentration. Hermione knew how much she wanted to win, and only hoped it wouldn't end in tears - for either team.

Madam Hooch blew the whistle, and off they went. Hermione watched intently, seeing the blurs of scarlet and saffron flash past in the cold winter sun. There was a tussle over the Quaffle, and Hufflepuff got a penalty. Then they got another because Seamus was repeatedly swearing. 

"Come on!" yelled Malfoy, face red with the exertion of shouting. Hermione looked at him, and saw that he looked happy. It made her feel infinitely better that he was happy too.

"Aren't you cheering the wrong team?" she shouted to him.

"No! I want Slytherin to have the opportunity to thrash Gryffindor in the final match!" he bellowed back.

"Bring it on!" Hermione shrieked, grinning wildly.

Hufflepuff scored a goal, then another. Attlee-Finch, a Gryffindor Beater, sent the Bludgers flying across the pitch and knocked a Chaser off his broom. There was a tense minute where it looked like he was going to fall, then he scrabbled back on and scored another goal for Hufflepuff in the confusion.

It was insane, and the Gryffindor supporters were screaming at the tops of their lungs. It was the crowd who spotted the Snitch first, however, flailing emphatically to direct Ginny and Emmett Crossley (the Hufflepuff Seeker) to it. Ginny gave chase immediately, and was followed swiftly by Emmett.

As everyone watched the race to the Snitch, Dean neatly scored six goals while the Keeper was distracted.

The Snitch was cornered by Seamus, who was strategically manoeuvring his broom to block its flight path. The Hufflepuffs bellowed their displeasure, but stopped when Ginny was slowed by a cleverly hit Bludger.

She spun to the side and flipped her broom upside down at the last second, earning cheers from the crowd.  It had cost her, however, as Emmett was catching up with the golden ball. He was so close to catching it when the Gryffindor Beaters smashed both Bludgers towards his head and he had to fly over the tops of the towers to avoid them. By the time he wheeled back around, Ginny's hands had just closed over the Snitch and the game was over.

She was sobbing with effort, and she was wiping her face with a dirty glove so she was streaked with mud and tears as Seamus, Dean and the rest landed to hug her. The crowd was in equal parts cheering and booing, and Hermine joined in with the screaming.

"Well," she heard a voice to her side say, "May the best team win the Cup." Malfoy's hand was stretched out to her, a grin and a raised eyebrow directed at her. She laughed and shook his hand, only saying,

"Yeah, we will."