What Happened With Burgess and Ruzek

Adam had moved into the kitchen with the little boy who was still trembling in his arms, and he had only tightened his grip when Adam had tried to put him down. He had buried the little boy's face in the crook off his neck as he stepped over the bodies of the kid's parents.

Eric popped his head back into the kitchen, "Voight and crew just rolled up, the medical examiner is en route" he had searched through the home office and found information on the family. The home belonged to Alex and Katie Stephens both in their early thirties, the little boy their only child. "Kid's name is Cash, he's six years old."

Adam nodded his head, "Hey, Cash." He ran his hand over the boy's back, "that's a pretty cool name, I'm Adam. I know I told you that already, I'm a police officer. I want to help you...can you tell me what happened?" He had finally pried the kid's arms off of him and sat him on the island in the middle of the kitchen.

He watched Cash like a hawk, the kid turning the toy over and over in his hands. He was a small kid, Adam had been surprised to hear he was six years old. He didn't have much to base it on, but he had thought a six year old would be bigger, this kid was light as a feather and barely four foot tall. He was certainly what one would call a shrimp. His eyes finally moved up to look at Adam.

"Hey.." Adam placed his hand on Cash's leg, his pajamas still damp from his parents blood, "You're scared...I know, it's okay to be scared."

Cash returned his gaze to his toy, "I love that movie..Bumble Bee is one of my favorites...have you got him?"

Cash shook his head no, "That's too bad." Adam hopped up to sit beside him on the island, "When I was a little kid...probably about your age..my grandpa used to buy me a new toy every weekend...have you got a grandpa..maybe a grandma?"

His question was met with silence.

Crime scene tape had already been wrapped around the property the house sat on, and as the neighborhood began to wake up, a crowd assembled on the sidewalk in front of the house. They hadn't even bothered to get dressed, they formed a circle and the rumor mill had kicked in.

Voight hated how quickly crowds assembled, "Get a handle on this crowd" he shouted to one of the patrol officers who had arrived shortly before Intelligence had.

Hank found Halstead and Atwater off to the side, speaking to someone from forensics, "What's up?"

"Two dead..tender aged male inside with the patrol officers who had been first on scene" he told Voight.

"He's one of my guys." Hank told him, he may have kicked Adam to patrol but it wasn't personal and he still viewed Ruzek as one of his guys. He was one of his guys and he still had hopes of pulling him back upstairs once things calmed down. He just couldn't allow him to just step back into his role on the team, he had reacted poorly and he needed to face consequences for his behavior.

"Really?" He muttered a bit surprised, "anyway..kid is in shock or something...he's clinging to Officer Ruzek."

That didn't surprise Hank one bit, Adam had always been sort of a kid magnet. Any case that involved a tender aged child, Adam seemed to be the person the kid was drawn to. They always joked it was because Adam was just an overgrown kid, but they all knew how well Adam handled it. He was always able to provide comfort to the kid and get the answers they needed.

As the rest of the unit rolled up Kim found Erin, "What happened?"

"Not sure. We've got two dead, and our only witness is a little boy." Erin hated these kind of cases, they all did. It just seemed to hit both her and Kim a bit harder than it had hit the rest of them. She had to chalk it up to their maternal instincts.