When I opened my eyes, Kyle was smiling amusedly. "Don't worry, I'll protect you," he whispered suggestively.

I blinked a couple of times, feeling my cheeks burn. Was Kyle like this to everyone? It felt like he was flirting with me. Why would he be flirting with me? I muttered an awkward thanks and looked at my Bunsen Burner.

Mr Hucks was in the mood for a lot of experiments lately. It was an awesome way to begin the year, but it would've been nice to know what he was planning to do with all these experiments. Were we going to get tested on this later? Maybe it'd be a surprise quiz. I should be paying more attention.

"Unfortunately," Mr Hucks began, "there aren't enough materials for each group, so I will have to ask that you pair up with another group for this next experiment."

I had a sickly feeling that Kyle was going to drag me to Daniel's table. It was only fate, no doubt. I mean, given my track record on luck, there was no way we weren't going to be partnered up with them. Regardless, I was searching the room, hoping I'd recognise someone else I was remotely close with. But of course, I was me and that meant I wasn't close enough with anyone here to approach and strike a conversation.

Unfortunately for me, Mr Hucks allowed us to pick our own partners. I practically jumped out of my seat ready to rush towards Lily. Someone whom I only spoke to once through Mia during gym last year. But before I could even take a step, I heard the chairs scrapped near me. When I looked up, Daniel was standing right across from me on our table.

To my absolute horror, he smiled. "Where are you going, road runner?" he asked kindly.

What in the world is happening?

I didn't know why I froze. I just stared at Daniel, his mouth stretched out into a smile, like he did earlier today when he was with Kyle. But instead of that smile being to anyone else, it was directed at me.

"To..." I was surprised to hear how low my voice came out, "find a group to partner with."

"Why would you do that?" he asked innocently.

This was the most Daniel had ever spoken to me.

"Don't worry, Ellie," Kyle intervened.

How could I not worry? I was going to die.

"I'll let you in on a secret though," Kyle said as he leaned closer to me. "The stuff everyone says about Daniel being a tough guy? It's all lies. Daniel is a bigger softie than any of the Care Bears."

Daniel scowled at Kyle, punching him on the shoulder. Kyle laughed as he rubbed his shoulder.

Dina, Daniel's lab partner, grinned largely at me. "Hey, Ellie! How are you?"

"Yeah, fantastic," I replied sarcastically. She didn't notice. "You?"

"Amazing! I just got a car from my grandma over the summer. I just know that senior year will be amazing!" she said over enthusiastically. "But what about you? I heard from Mia that you're doing something a little special this year."

What did Mia tell her?

"Oh really? What did she say?" Where did my sudden coolness come from?

"Oh, don't play stupid with me! I heard you joined the Peer Support Group. I'm so glad to hear that you're doing something other than just studying all day long," Dina answered.

Oh, thank God. Though there wasn't really anything wrong with people knowing I had a bucket list, I just didn't want them to know. And if Dina knew, although she was a great person, she couldn't keep a secret even if her life depended on it.