Chapter Ten: Alia Fletson

Chapter Ten:

Alia's POV

--

I woke up the following morning to the re-runs of the interviews on the plasma TV in front of my bed.

Although I had never been the camera-shy type, I had to admit, it was strange seeing myself on television.

"........Is there something romantic going on between you two.....?" Ceaser asked.

The look on my face said it all. My cheeks flushed pink and I smiled nervously, trying to compose myself before I answered his question.

Abruptly, a girl with vibrant red hair and emerald green eyes entered my room. Since she was in some sort of a Capitol uniform, I figured she was an Avox. I had never seen an Avox before, but I had heard of them. Slaves of the Capitol; they were people who had committed treason in some way. As a punishment, the Capitol would cut out their tongues so they were mute and force them to serve the Capitol citizens.

I smiled at the Avox girl, in some attempt to show my sympathy for her.

She handed me a tray filled with breakfast food, smiled faintly, and left my bedroom before I had the opportunity to thank her.

Although the matter didn't concern me, I couldn't help but wonder what she had done to betray Panem, more specifically, the Capitol's rules.

When Cyra came on the screen, I snorted at her ignorant answer to the last question.

Oh, Cyra, Seneca Crane will be sure to arrange your death in the arena.... fish girl has no idea as to what she has coming for her....

Most of the other tributes were rather boring. Each District slipped slowly by, one by one. Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven.... and the final Twelfth District.

Katniss 'The Girl on Fire' Everdeen and Peeta (bread boy) Mellark went first. Katniss looked rather agitated with the whole thing and kept quiet, letting Peeta do all the talking.

After their interview, Astrana came onto the screen.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Astrana and Gale!"

Gale... so that's what his name was... I thought, staring at the boy that Cato had snapped at on the train.

"How are you faring, Astrana?" Caesar asked, flashing a warm smile to ease her nerves.

"I'm fine, Caesar, thank you."

"Tell me a little bit about yourself, Astrana. Any boyfriend back home?"

Astrana laughed uneasily. "No... but there is this one boy I've liked for a while, and we're really close..... but by close... I mean literally. We're neighbors, but he's never really noticed me. He was too busy staring at Katniss...."

The audience fell dead silent.

"Ohhhhh...." Caesar trailed off, a sly smile across his face, "You're talking about Peeta Mellark, aren't you?"

Astrana nodded.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here? Peeta likes Katniss, you like Peeta, and Katniss doesn't like Peeta... This is interesting, Astrana, very interesting. Now, tell me, what do you think of the other tributes?"

"Well," she said, "I talked to Alia from District Two backstage... and I got the feeling that if we weren't here, that we could've been friends, you know? But by her demonstration score, I'm guessing that she didn't volunteer herself to make new friends."