Chapter 4 - Dates & Insults

Scarlett Emily Cooks

Some parents don't like the concept of their daughters going out with boys, leading to teenagers either sneaking out or suffering formal and strict meetings with the boy. Other parents couldn't care less. They acknowledge the boy with a nod and simply cry out, "Bring her home by ten!"

Mine, however, acted like a teenage girl best friend. The fact that she was a designer made my mother want to make me look absolutely stunning for any event, important or insignificant.

"Oh, baby girl! You look gorgeous! Now turn around, you should see how beautiful you look like right now! That guy, Jones, is going to melt at your sight!" exclaimed Mama dramatically.

I'd been sitting in this chair for almost 2 hours, getting "pampered" for my date by my mom. I stopped bothering to correct her way of saying my date's name about an hour ago.

I stood up and turned around to face myself in the mirror. I smiled. My makeup was simple, it was almost unnoticeable.

I was wearing a pale, pink, strapless dress that reached my knees. It was simple, cozy and serene. My definition of perfect. Luckily, my mom lent me her black high heels. To top it all, my mom placed a gorgeous necklace on me.

"Family tradition," she whispered, then winked.

"Thank you."

My mom hugged me and suddenly turned serious: "Be careful. Take the pepper spray with you, just in case." At my raised eyebrow, she added, "You never know if he's a pervert."

I started laughing hysterically and answered: "Mama, we're just going to a restaurant and then watch a movie."

"Still. Who knows what's on boys' minds these days? Let's hope that Noah is a good guy," she warned me, pointing a finger in my face.

"Jonah, Mama. It's Jonah."

She rolled her eyes and muttered something about weird boy names. She walked out and closed the door.

Well, she's my mom, so that explains why I'm weird.

I took a peek at the bedroom clock; it displayed 7:00 sharp. Jonah was supposed to be here by now.

"The doorbell resounded in the whole house and I jumped.

"Scarlett! Your date is here!" My mom shouted.

I took a last look in the mirror and grabbed my black Guess purse on the way out the door. I put my cell phone, my lip gloss, a little packet of tissues and...The pepper spray. Who knew?

I technically sprinted down the stairs, but near the end, I walked elegantly. Per se.

Then, I saw him.

Jonah was dressed in dark blue jeans, a white V-neck shirt, and a matching dark blue jacket. His hair looked perfect, his cologne made my nose tingle and, overall, he looked like a movie star playing the supposed bad boy.

When he saw me, his mouth dropped a little bit, but he recomposed himself quite fast.

I giggled at his reaction.

He smiled kindly and said, "You look amazing, Scarlett."

For a moment, I was so mesmerized I'd forgotten my mom was there.

She was smiling mischievously.

"Well, you take good care of her, boy." She winked playfully. Even if I was annoyed by her, I was ecstatic. This was the happiest I'd seen my mom in days.

Jonah chuckled, then took my hand and placed a gentle peck on it. Like a feather.

"Don't worry, ma'am. She's in good hands," he replied smoothly. "I'll have her back by 11, is that alright?"

I could see my mom swooning at his attitude.

"That's marvelous. You two kiddies have fun!"
And with those words she turned around and headed for her room.

Jonah looked at me and smirked. "What a mom you have. Now I know where you get the weirdness from!"

I blushed a little.

"Oh, shut up."

He opened the front door and ushered me to come, in a gentlemanly way.

"I must admit, I had a feeling you would've run away from me by now."

I groaned. "Now, why didn't I think of that?"

-----------------------------------------------

"No, no, no!" I said stubbornly, crossing my arms. "There's no way I'm getting on this...this thing!"

Jonah whined, "Why? Come on!"

I was currently standing on my lawn, in front of a black motorcycle with red flames all over it.

"No."

"Scarlett. Come on!"

"Absolutely not!"

Before I could process what was happening, I felt myself being carried, bridal style. I started hitting Jonah on the chest but that did nothing to stop him. He just smirked at my efforts to get free. But there was something else, something weird. I don't know. A strange feeling nagged in my chest. A bad feeling. I didn't feel like I was supposed to be in his arms. I shook that feeling away, determined to have a good night. I closed my eyes.

When I opened them again, I was sitting on the motorcycle, a helmet on my head, Jonah comfortably sitting in front of me. I put my arms around him tightly and reclosed my eyes.