Chapter 7 : Code Red [MATURE]

Rachel looked at him blankly for a long time. "Oh," she said.

"If you're not comfortable with it," Mason said. "I understand." The corner of his mouth curled up in a grin. Maybe he just got her to change her mind, after all.

A bright smile spread on her face. "Oh Mason, that's even better!"

"I beg your pardon?"

She clasped her hands together. "I've always wanted to do a threesome."

He felt his throat go dry. "You have?"

"Absolutely." She leaned forward, giving him another good look at her cleavage. "Is she beautiful?" she said, her voice dropping down to a whisper.

"Who?"

"The girl, of course. The one who will be joining us in bed."

"Right. Yes." He took a long drink of water. Wasn't it twenty minutes yet? Where the hell was Jake and that code red?

"Will you be watching me and your friend make out, Mason?"

He almost choked on his water.

"Are you okay?" Rachel said, her eyes wide with concern.

"Fine." He pressed his napkin on his mouth as he tried to clear his throat. He raised his other hand to call their waiter.

"Another martini," he told the server. "What is it?" he asked, seeing the apologetic look in the man's eyes.

"I'm terribly sorry to bother you," said the server to both of them. "It's your assistant on the phone, Mr. Kilborne. He says he needs to talk to you. It's very urgent."

Ah finally!

"Thank you." He stood up. "I'm sorry, Rachel. I must take this call."

"Hurry back, babe."

When he got to the reception desk, Mason was handed a wireless phone.

"What the hell took you so long?" he said.

"Sorry, sir," Jake said. "You did say twenty minutes."

"Did you make the arrangements with the hotel?"

"Yes, sir. You have a reservation at the presidential suite. As I understand, they're moving the current guests to another suite as we speak, but the hotel assured me it won't take very long."

"Good. Pack me an overnight suitcase and be sure bring it here by nine. Have the hotel staff bring it directly to my room." Mason paused, thinking. "One more thing."

"Sir?"

"I'll need some cash." How much did escorts charge, exactly? He hadn't the slightest idea. "Uhm, ten grand. Take it from the safe downstairs, pack it in the suitcase."

"Got it. Anything else, sir?"

"Jake, how much do... Never mind," he added hastily. On second thought, he probably shouldn't ask his assistant how much to pay an escort. "That's all."

He hung up and returned the phone to reception.

When he got back to Rachel, she was sitting with her chin resting on one hand. "I was beginning to get lonely," she said.

He walked over to her side of the table and leaned down to speak to her, one hand on the back of her chair. "Rachel, my apologies," he said. "But something's come up at work. I have to go."

"What?" Her face fell.

"I'm sorry." He covered her hand with his. "Please finish your meal. Order anything you want."