Homecoming

It may have still been the summer, but the football stadium seemed to funnel the cold and bitter wind straight to Washington's student section. The marching band members with fingerless gloves clenched their hands in a losing attempt to warm their fingers up for the next piece. Students dressed themselves in the warmest blue clothing they could find, showing the school spirit and staying warm. Some sipped hot chocolate; the rising steam clashing with each of our breaths, screaming cheers, hoping to motivate the Washington Knights.

And I loved every second of it.

I genuinely like sports, especially football and baseball, sports that I had grown up watching. While the Knights were actually mediocre this year, a vast improvement over last season according to whispers exchanged by upperclassmen, but football was football. The crowd was fairly large, despite the assumption made by some, expecting us ladies to stay at home and plan out every piece of our homecoming look. The two hours in between the game and the dance were plenty for me; I didn't wear much makeup and I had straigtened out my hair earlier, so fixing it would be a piece of cake.

My school spirit outfit consisted of my cross country sweatshirt, blue jeans, and a wolf painted on my face, which I had gotten done in the parking lot of the football field. Everyone else was dressed similarly, whether it was an athletic sweatshirt or a blue tutu that I suspected the costume shop had sold them at a discounted price.

We, meaning Adrian, Cameron, and I, were in the middle of the student section, with only the seniors in front. Esmie was supposed to come to the game, but she had informed Cameron over text message that "getting ready is going to take sooooo long srry". While I sympathized for the poor guy, I was secretly glad that Esmie wasn't here.

"What if she's cheating on me?" Cameron suddenly said, still staring at the game. Adrian's head turned quickly towards him.

"Do you really think so? She's a lot of things, but she isn't stupid." Adrian asked Cameron. Cameron looked up.

"Maybe."

"Don't sweat it, man." Adrian turned away, quickly meeting my eyes. I looked back at him, shrugging my shoulders. We all knew the truth; and it weighed us all down. We knew what she was capable of, and while Adrian's words were comforting, it would not be unreasonable to say that she was hiding something, whether if it was her commitment to Cameron or something else.

I felt bad for Cameron, I really did. Even though I didn't know him well, he seemed like a decent guy, despite his occasional moodiness, and he was like a brother to Adrian. He wasn't a bad-looking guy, so it wasn't like he had to be desperate for a girlfriend. His hair was curlier, and he had dark, chocolate brown eyes compared to Adrian and I"s green eyes. I just didn't understand why he wasted his time on Esmie.

After the game, which ended in our team winning by several touchdowns over the other team, which came from some high school, I headed back to my house, where Caitlin and I were going to meet up before the dance. When I arrived at my house, Caitlin was already there, talking to David in the kitchen. She was showing him her camera, and he was fascinated by all the buttons.

"Hey Faith!" She pulled a few empty film cartridges and gave them to David. "You can play with these, but don't break any of them." He took the 'toys' and ran towards his room, slamming the door. "What a cutie." Caitlin commented, picking up her bag.

After we were entered my room, Caitlin plugged in the straightner and waited for it to heat up. "Is Fae coming?" She asked. I shook my head.

"No, I tried to convince her, but she wasn't having it." I spent a good hour at the coffee shop, trying to convince her, but I think she just doesn't like parties.