"Uh, I'm shakin' in my boots! Oh wait, I'm wearin' flats" She teased, makin' the fakest grin ever.

"Carlie, just shut up. Wasn't one day of suspension enough?" Whitney scolded her.

"Why am I not surprised the Devil's Spawn got suspended?" I teased, and the girl shot her tongue out.

"Carlie threw a cupcake at her English teacher," Whitney said, givin' her sister a sour look.

"No shit?" I smiled at the little blondie "Who's your teacher?"

"Mrs. Crowley" She growled.

"Really?!" I whispered, and she nodded "High five."

She looked suspiciously but made a side smile and tapped my hand.

"That bitch's a witch" I lowered my torso so I could meet her eyes, and hers were sparklin' with the happiness of a kid that finds a new curse word.

She ran inside the school, her skinny legs shakin' on her blue jeans.

"Thanks for giving her more weapons" Whitney sighed, playin' with her car keys.

"A kid needs to learn to defend itself since they are sprouts." I said, shruggin' "So... See you in school."

She sidestepped me, and I frowned.

"Actually... I need to talk to you. If you have a second..."

I looked into my car, and my friends were makin' stupid faces and throwin' kisses our way. Whitney was blushin' but laughin' at the same time.

"We're already late." I told her, showin' my silver watch "So... better delay this to-"

"No." She said quickly and swallowed hard "Look, I've got the nerve to come up to you now. Later will be too late... or something like that." She added and then shook her head "If you don't want to talk to me, just tell me. I'm not about to... talk and just make a fool of myself."

I stared at her, sayin' nothin'.

"Please, Rai" She whispered, lookin' around as if a bomb was about to blow up.

"You're still afraid. And embarrassed." I told her, my jaw clenchin' tight "So, no, Whitney. I'm not givin' you anytime."

I walked past her, and she stood there, without movin'.

"Hey! What da fuck?!" I heard Nacio growl from the back seat "Why didn't you talk to her?!"

"She's not ready" I mumbled, and the tires of my car shrieked in the pavement.

"You're a fuckin' idiot, Rai" I heard Nacio mumble, shakin' his head.

***

I got scolded – yet again – for getting' late to class. By lunchtime, my friends had let me go about the whole Whitney story. All except for Nacio. He seemed angry at me, for some reason. Just give me a fuckin' break! The girl was all about appearances. Like she would ruin her precious reputation by going out with a Mexican guy. Worse, a Cuervo.

We were in the lunch line, and I saw her a few feet back. She looked sad; tired and sad. Fuck if I didn't feel like a complete pendejo. Still, she had to come to her own senses, by herself.

"What are you having, dear?" The lunch lady asked Whitney, as the guys and I waited for our own orders.

"I have a special order. Doris knows what it is" She said, smilin' at the skinny woman with a big nose.

"Sorry, cutie pie, no special orders. What are you having?"

"Excuse me, but Doris knows why and what is my order" She repeated, and I could see she was loosin' her patience.

"Look here, sugar: either you make an order, or you go. Either way, you're slowing the line" The woman rolled her eyes, gesturin' for the other students to cut in front of Whitney.

"Excuse me!" Portia started, her eyes on fire.

"Didn't you hear the lady?" I asked the new lunch lady after I shoved a few people aside to get to them "She has a special order, and it's Doris who gives her the order. Last I look, your ugly face ain't Doris'. So, either you call her, or I'll make sure me and mi hermanos remember your face."

The woman turned white as a sheet, and she tumbled into the kitchen. A few seconds later, she came with a white plate protected with a plastic cover.

"Here you go, sweetie." She smiled at Whitney, and then at me "Enjoy your meal."

"You didn't have to do that" Whitney said when we got to the cashier.

"I know." I said and gestured for both our orders "I'm payin' for both."

"Huh... no, you're not. Rai, really, don't" She said, blushin' like a little tomato.

"Shut up" I groaned and left after I got the change.

When I started eatin', I saw her walkin' by with her friends to their usual table. They all ate and laughed, and tried to make her part of the conversation, but she kept shootin' glances my way. She wasn't eatin' at all. I felt like makin' a damn scandal so she would eat the whole plate. Still, I concentrated on my food and forgot all about Whitney Gordon – she wasn't my responsibility, really.

"Hey... what's she doin'?" I heard Tito ask, dumbfounded.

I looked up, and Whitney had gotten up and was now walkin' with a confident sway towards us. I frowned. What was she doin'?

Her face was a little pale, and her eyes huge. Oh... she was gonna slap me again. I sighed, shovin' my chair back, prepared to try reasoning with her. When she got in front of me, she grabbed my hand and pulled me along. I frowned but decided I better just follow her since the whole cafeteria was whooping and laughing at us. She quietly dragged me into the hallway, shoving some students along the way.

When we got to one of the janitors' closet, she opened it, shoved me in and locked the door from the inside. On the low light crammed room, her hands cupped my face, and she stepped on her toes so her lips were a whisper away from mine.

"I'm not ready?" She whispered, and I could hear the challenge in her voice "We'll see about that."

And her lips crashed into mine.