Prologue

Two grocery bags in hand, she followed her father to their bright, white family car that caused them many troubles as they struggled to find it in the middle of snow. The girl opened the front seat door and slipped inside the car, completely oblivious to the look her father was giving her.

He sighed. "Scarlett?" The girl froze because he never called her by her actual name, unless he was serious about something. He always called her Lee, after her middle name Emily. "We talked about this. On the way here, you'd sit in front. On the way back, you'll sit behind me."

"Daaad! Please?" Scarlett pouted and widened her eyes a little. He shook his head and pointed to the back seat. He refused to give in to her, not again. She groaned and held out a hand to her dad. He took it and supported her waist as she moved to the backseat. She huffed and put on her seat belt.

"Happy?" she asked.

He gave her a heartfelt smile and winked. "That's my girl."

The car ride was silent, until her dad put a CD in and played it. Scarlett grinned and sat up immediately. At the first notes of the song, she made jazz hands. Her French braid swung as she swayed in her seat to the music.

"Love, love me do. You know, I love you. I'll always be true," They both sang loudly. The Beatles had always been their favorite band, even though Scarlett's mom didn't like them much.

"I love you, Daddy!" cried out the girl, her sky colored eyes shining in exhilaration and excitement.

Her father laughed. "You know I love you too, Lee."

The next seconds were a blur. Between the music, their singing and the momentary happiness; there was a truck that had passed the red light and was heading towards them. Time froze, because this was a moment that would turn the girl's life upside down.

She turned just in time to see the truck inches away from colliding with the car. Her dad noticed as well, and his eyes widened. She screamed. The car lurched and Scarlett was thrown forward violently, the seatbelt biting into her stomach and knocking the wind out of her. The sound of her dad calling out her name was the last thing she heard before the world faded away from her.

"Lee!"

I could hear a vague sound in the background.

I felt myself crying. For a long moment my upper eyelid seemed glued to the lower one, because I couldn't open my eyes. When I finally could, they hurt from my tears.

My gaze settled on Mama's terrified expression, and I watched as her face slowly softened with relief. She wiped the tears on my cheeks, although that didn't stop them from falling again.

She patted my hand. "Was it a bad dream, honey?" she asked. I took deep breaths to steady myself. I nodded.

"I wish I turned earlier, so I could—I don't know," I whispered, watching as the invisible switch clicked in my mom's mind.

"I wish he was here," she said.

Me too, Mama, I thought. I miss him too. How often had I wished that he was still alive, and that I was the one who had died?

I closed my eyes again and felt myself drift away into another dream.