Rose Tainted Snow

Start from the beginning

The first thirteen years of my life were filled with the dull gray colors and lifestyle of an all girl's orphanage. I had the same routine every day with same boring people(there were always exceptions to this such as a visitor every now and then and the rarity of taking in another orphaned girl). Life just continually seemed drab and dreary; nothing exciting happened during those years and I was dissatisfied with my position in life. I was tired of the small world I'd been living in, I wanted to learn and see more of the world around me. I thirsted for new experiences and new faces; I wanted to gulp it all up and take it all in.

One night, as I was restlessly lying in my bed thinking about my life and what I wanted to do with it, I decided that I was finally tired of it all: I was going to run away and that's just what I did that night. Security at night there was scant, so it was easy sneaking out at night and then quickly sneak back in before dawn the next day.(I'd previously done this once or twice with a couple of the other girls my age, but those two stories are ones for another time) I knew that tonight I would not be returning in the morn.

Because of the naivete of a thirteen-year-old girl I had not thought further in my plans than walking out the orphanage’s front two doors; to me, that in itself would be an accomplishment. I had little money, which meant I would have to live on the streets, and I had no way of protecting myself from prowlers. The best hope I had was believing that luck was on my side that night.

For the first hour or so luck was indeed on my side, but after that everything just went downhill from there. For awhile I'd been able to smell the dampness you always smell before a good rain, and, finally, the clouds had managed to break loose from their barriers and rain flew down in torrents. The light T-shirt and shorts I was wearing at the time were quickly soaked through, and soon after that, as I was walking down another alley, I could faintly hear the sound of drunken deep male voices up ahead of me. Crippling fear spread through me; there was nothing I could do. I was paralyzed where I stood by my own fear.

Finally, as they came into view (I forgot to tell you that that night the streets were clouded with fog) my senses kicked back in. I ran for dear life as stories of what drunken men did to girls flew through my brain.

I didn't know where I was running, but I did know that I wouldn't stop if I didn't have to. I passed through so many alleys that I'd lost track of where I was until I slammed into a thin body that had gotten in my way. I stumbled back and warily lifted my head to see what I'd run into.

My breath was taken away; right before me stood one of the prettiest creatures I'd seen in my life. Deep blue eyes shrouded by thick lashes stared down at me in bewilderment. Her piquant rose colored lips were opened from the shock of being hit so hard by a large object. Bleach blond tresses had escaped the safety of the white hood that had been protecting them from the cold rain. The city lights of the main street in town encased her in a glowing essence.

After taking in this angel's features I was able to quickly mumble a sheepish apology.

“Well, I should hope so. Next time pay more attention to your surroundings, will you?” she said, scorn outlining her words, and then continued to go on her way, leaving me to continue standing in the dark alley.

My eyes trailed after her; they were still glued to the slender silhouette. What happened next will never cease to surprise me whenever I'll mull over this night again and again. Suddenly, after she'd taken a few paces away from me, she stood stock still in the, now, drizzling rain. I cocked my head to the side, puzzled at what she intended to do.

As quick as the snap of two fingers she'd turned around and thrust her way through the throng of people going the opposite direction back toward me. Before I knew it the angel was standing right in front of me again.