Part ten - Christmas Parties

A couple of days later I had no choice but to head up to the annual Christmas party which Laura's family threw. I dressed nicely, my outfit carefully chosen like it was every other year. I'd chosen to play it safe with jeans and a nice deep red top. The v of the neck was daringly low but it was nice, it didn't expose anything. I was mostly covered. I pulled on a pair of heels and sighed. I'd be limping home tonight.

Stephen grimaced at me as I clip clapped down the wooden stairs. He was stood at the bottom waiting impatiently on me. I was driving tonight. Being pregnant meant I was now designated driver for much of the foreseeable future, not that nights out were a priority of mine anymore.

"You all ready to go?" Stephen asked me, looking hopeful.

"You're in such a hurry. Are you genuinely expecting this to be good?" I asked almost bitterly.

"No but sooner we get there the sooner we can get home." Stephen shrugged at me. He wasn't looking forwards to this either.

"I just need a coat," I said as I headed into the study/extra wardrobe space. My house wasn't big. It was two average size bedrooms, a bathroom, a tiny study, a living room which was fairly big but awkwardly laid out and a poky kitchen. However it was as Mammy always reminded me, "what else do you and I need?" Plus she practically lived with her boyfriend so I was home a lot on my own. If our house had been any bigger I probably would gave run into problems.

I pulled out my Aunts old maternity coat. A long black coat.

"You look lovely," Stephen remarked as I buttoned up the coat. I probably could have worn an ordinary one but my bump was getting more noticeable, I almost felt like it were getting bigger by the day but I knew that was wrong, it was just my perception of my bump.

When we arrived at Laura's house, I pulled up along the curb and pulled my handbrake tight. I checked over my makeup in the mirror then nodded at Stephen.

"Let's do this," I joked, "Game face on!"

Stephen took my hand as we walked through the drizzle of ran to Laura's house. I was glad I'd chosen to pin my curly hair up out of my face.

Stephen knocked the door and I forced a smile on my face. Dreading this didn't come close to how I was feeling. Two hours was all I was going to struggle through here then I was going home with or without Stephen.

Laura's mother, Anna, opened the door. She smiled brightly when she saw me. Instantly she pulled me into a warm hug. I was so relieved. Anna was very religious. Sex outside marriage was a big no no. So the fact she was accepting me meant that things were okay. She wasn't condemning me to hell for being pregnant.

"Oh Ciara. You look beautiful," Anna cooed.

"Thank you. You're looking great Anna," I replied. She did look smart with a navy dress on and nice shoes. She was dressy but Anna did dress up for her Christmas party.

"Oh Stephen. How are you?" She asked looking beyond me.

"I'm fine Mrs Walsh, how are you?" Stephen had been a bit of a player in the past. He knew how to win over women. Manners were the way to Anna's heart and he knew it.

"Oh Stephen it's Anna. Don't be so silly but I'm fine dear. Thank you." She practically flushed with colour. Even I couldn't help but laugh silently as her hand brushed against her short dark brown hair as if to fix it. She was flattered.

"Come on in. There's plenty here," Anna waved us forwards. "Ciara, you will never guess who's home?" Her big broad grin gave away her complete adoration for her oldest son, Peter, a Cambridge boy, studying law. He was bright. She'd always wanted to set us up.